Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ney
Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: When did BT reduce the capacity of the YouView+ 4K box

Go to solution

I agree that this seems a backward step as the other two big pay TV providers still offer a 1tb box.

Darren

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

I'm flabbergasted!

We record more than ever and would have expected as the broadcast quality of programmes improves (needing more storage), and we move towards a central box that stores content and shares to others (much like SkyQ), that the number of tuners and storage capacity would increase! 😲

I know streaming is big, I use Netflix, Amazon and NOW TV, but the fundamental bedrock of our TV viewing remains content on channels 1 - 5 that we record in HD. There is no way I am watching that stuff in blurry vision SD on crappy players with adverts! 🤣

What is wrong with people? 😆

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

It is to me a very backwards step. While I have a 1TB box and @NeilO assurance that if it breaks it will be replaced like-for-like, ultimately these 1TB boxes will become scarce and I may have to accept a 500 GB Box. Therefore a reduction in the package I pay for.

Is this not just BT penny pinching and scaling back its spend on its TV service? No HDR and now less storage.

Unless of course there is a new box on the horizon? 

Stew

srome68
Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Ah ok, just doubled checked mine and it’s the 1tb one.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

No mention of YouView any more either...

BT4k.PNGNew BT 4K Box

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Seems especially strange as BT have just made a big point of saying the NowTV channels will be recordable, I know the non-4k boxes were always 500Gb but to retrospectively drop the storage with supposedly more recordable content coming seems very odd.

https://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

'Marc Allera, CEO of BT’s Consumer unit, said: “This extension of our partnership with Sky is great news for our customers, and is part of our commitment to provide our customers with the best service and content available. As part of this deal, Sky customers in Ireland will get access to great BT Sport content, and BT TV customers in the UK will be able to seamlessly watch and record their favourite NOW TV channels.”'

Changing the UltraHD sign to 4kUHD is sensible as different people know it slightly differently but dropping the YouView is a strange decision.

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

I might be in the minority here but when I moved to BT I took the 4k package because I wanted the 1TB storage, even though at that time I didn't have a 4k TV and I didn't get one until a year later. The most annoying thing when changes like this occur is the flannel you're given for the change:

“The box is a reduction in memory size but customers will still be able to enjoy the BT TV experience and new customers will have the ability to record up to 300 hours of their favourite TV shows. Consumer behaviour is changing and BT TV customers are streaming more premium content than ever before from Netflix and Amazon Prime. BT remains the only set-top box provider giving customers the ability to watch both, as well as giving them access to using on-demand content such as BBC iPlayer.”

Firstly, almost everyone (not trying to contradict myself above), who has the 4k package is going to have a smart TV, therefore don't we all use the apps on the TV? My experience is that not only are they better and more reliable but I'm only powering up one device and not two.

I can't see the change being done as a cost saving, just the time BT have spent discussing it would cost more than it would ever actually save, so the real reason for doing it can't be that. A new box, presumably HDR and with a 1TB drive, at a higher cost of course, would be plausible. Even that though is poor thinking because a 2TB option should be the minimum.

srpsrp
Expert
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

The disk is quite easy to replace, so no real worries. The 1TB storage was a persuading factor for me although I'm probably not the sort of (ex) customer BT are trying to attract !

I guess the thinking behind the 1TB disk was trying to convince people they'd need it to record all that lovely UHD content, didn't happen did it!

Alas, the market is growing for the younger demographic who can't be bothered to 'set the video to 'record' things

0 Ratings