Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ant2011
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Where have all the movie rentals gone?

Go to solution

Ever since the BT TV player got it's new look, there seems to be hardly anything available to rent any more.  All the movies we have wanted to watch lately, including recent releases, are available to buy only.

I don't see the point in buying a film we probably only want to watch once, especially since it's only ours to keep for as long as we subscribe to the service.  If I want to keep a movie to watch over and over, I'll buy it on blu-ray (for a similar price).

BT TV used to be a great way to rent the latest blockbusters.  Will the option to rent movies return?  Or is there a way to access the rental versions through the menus that I haven't found?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Where have all the movie rentals gone?

Go to solution

Hi @Ant2011 and thanks for posting.

You can buy or rent movies in the BT TV Store. Take a look at BT TV Store for details.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Ant2011
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks, I hadn't seen the rental section under the "store" menu.  However, it just seems to highlight the poor selection of recent movies to rent.  Of the 91 rentals available, most of them are older films.

I guess we've just been unlucky in our choices.  Here are the films we have wanted to watch recently, all fairly recent movies:

Jason Bourne
Captain America: Civil War
Suicide Squad
X-Men: Apocalypse

With the exception of the last one, which doesn't seem to be available at all any more, none can be rented, all are buy only.  I'm sure it used to be the case that all the movies in BT's catalogue could be rented once they had been officially released.  Now it seems most can only be bought.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I would maybe buy some movies if they did what Sky do and also sent out a DVD as a back up. For my understanding is if use ever left BT you would lose the moves you bought. I could be wrong buts thats what I thought.

I still got a few movies on the Google Play Movies that I got or I got for free when I used to have an Android phone but I can still watch them via the app on my IPad Mini 4. Thats now 18 months old since I got the IPad mini 4.

I have been using an Iphone for 16 months now.

As for renting a movie via the BT Store I would rather wait till the movie came on Netflix than rent a movie.

Darren

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

They do put new movies into BT TV to buy only at first.

Usually they seem to be there for a couple of weeks and then change to Buy or Rent.

Richard

0 Ratings
Ant2011
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

It used to be that movies were made available to buy only a week or two before the official DVD release date, but then on that date they became available to rent as well.

I'm sure the whole catalogue used to be rentable apart from those pre-release titles, but not any more. The movies I listed above, for example, have been out a while but they still can't be rented.

Are they now only available to rent for a short time after release, then revert to buy only?

0 Ratings