cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astra03
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Where is 4seven?

I have the Entertainment Extra package with BT but do not seem to have the channel 4seven, which is a freeview channel.  I've tried scanning for channels and it's still not there.  Can anyone please advise?  I'm paying a ridiculous amount every month to BT and what I get for it is pretty rubbish, but I would have expected a freeview channel to be there.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Where is 4seven?

Can you get that channel if you plug your TV aerial directly into your TV? if not, try this link.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/i-cant-watch-what-i-want#STATUS-CHECKER-1

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
astra03
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the reply.  Plugging the aerial into the TV didn't work. I followed the link and it says that channel is not available in my area!  Which I find hard to believe as I have it on Freeview.  I wanted to record a programme onto the BT box but I guess that's not going to happen.  BT is a joke.

Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

@astra03wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Plugging the aerial into the TV didn't work. I followed the link and it says that channel is not available in my area!  Which I find hard to believe as I have it on Freeview.  I wanted to record a programme onto the BT box but I guess that's not going to happen.  BT is a joke.

Can you clarify. 

Were you a Sky customer until recently?

If plugging the aerial into the TV didn't work and the Freeview website (the link I posted) says that channel isn't available in your area then Sky is the only way I can think of that you would have been able to record it in the past.

Personally I think it's confusing the way that BT advertise the Freeview channels as part of the package because, unlike Sky, they don't deliver them - with BT they're delivered by aerial only.

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
astra03
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

No, I've always been with BT and got the youview box a few years ago.  I haven't tried recording 4seven until now, as there's a programme coming on I really want to record.  Before that I used to record via my freeview box using a VHS recorder!  I can still watch freeview on that box, but because I got rid of the VHS (thinking that youview would be better), I can't record 4seven on anything now.  I'm pretty annoyed at how rubbish BT is.  Yes, they do seem to pretend a lot of stuff is part of their package when it isn't - eg. I'll come across a programme and click to watch it, then it turns out it's actually on All 4, Amazon Prime or Netflix!  I really can't figure out how I can't get 4seven on youview if I can get it on the freeview box.  It doesn't make sense 😕

Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

@astra03wrote:

I haven't tried recording 4seven until now, as there's a programme coming on I really want to record.  Before that I used to record via my freeview box using a VHS recorder!😕

I think you may have just provided the answer.

It's sounds like it's a while ago that you last recorded 4seven and there have been many changes to TV transmitters over the last few years as Ofcom have slowly recovered frequencies, previously used for broadcast, to accommodate Smart Metering and other digital services. In some cases this has resulted in channels being lost.

Do you live in an area covered by more than one TV transmitter? If so it may be worth looking to see if any of your neighbours aerials point in a different direction to yours and ask them if they can get 4seven 

Edit: You may be able to watch your programme using the channel 4 player on your Youview box or online at https://www.channel4.com/

garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@astra03 how can it be BT's fault when you've stated from the freeview website 4seven not available in your area?  BT aren't a "joke" in that situation, if a channel shows as not available on the freeview website it won't be available.

Also FYI All4 is a free subscription service so the content is free to view once signed in

0 Ratings
astra03
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Presumably you can see I tried the link AFTER my first post??  And yes, BT are a joke.  I signed up for a contract that was supposed to guarantee me 2 years at a set price; just over a year later it went up.  I asked them to take off BT Sport before I got charged for it; they didn't and I got charged.  The list goes on.  Yes, they are a joke.

I'm well aware I can watch it on demand.  I wanted to record it to fast forward adverts and re-watch it whenever I want.

0 Ratings
astra03
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Thanks, I can watch it on demand, just really wanted to record it so I could fast forward adverts and re-watch it whenever I wanted.  My neighbours are with Sky and have 4seven.  The odd thing is, 4seven is listed on BTs website as being one of the channels you get with even the basic packages.

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

@astra03wrote:

Thanks, I can watch it on demand, just really wanted to record it so I could fast forward adverts and re-watch it whenever I wanted.  My neighbours are with Sky and have 4seven.  The odd thing is, 4seven is listed on BTs website as being one of the channels you get with even the basic packages.

It's not odd at all, Sky have it because they have a specific carriage deal with Channel 4 for HD linear channels and catch up content, that is what a Sky subscription gets you. BT don't, they rely partly on Freeview channels for their TV packages.

Every single channel available through Freeview is listed on the BT website as part of the BT TV package because what you can get will vary, but it does also state in the terms on the TV pages that what you will receive is subject to local conditions:

FreeviewFreeview

They have also been pretty clear since early last year in relation to annual price changes, it's written on every order page and covered in more detail here: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/annual-price-changes-and-cpi 

It's part of the reason why some of us left. 

In the short term, I would recommend a 14 day trial of All4+ which will allow you to catch up without adverts on your desired programme. Then you can keep an eye out for a repeat at a later date on a channel you do have to record or buy a hard copy.

Other options:

• Get an aerial installer in to maximise your Freeview reception
  • Buy Sky
  • Buy Virgin Media (if available in your area)
  • Get a satellite dish installed and buy a Freesat box
  • Buy an annual All4+ subscription so you can watch all channels in HD without ads

Plenty of us know how poor the BT customer experience can be, but to be fair, this one is on you. Caveat emptor.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings