Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djpatrick
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Where to buy aerial attenuators (20db+)

Hi All

I had a BT engineer visit today and found the signal strength was too high causing the box to lose picture quality.

I need to get the strength down by ~20db - the engineer put 4x 6db attenuators from the aerial socket to fly lead - as you can imagine it doesn't look great but understand the need.

Are there any straight inline fixed (Not variable) 20db+ attenutators you can get online? I've only seen 6db or 12db fixed and 0-20db variable.

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Where to buy aerial attenuators (20db+)

Either you live next door to the transmitter, or you have an aerial amplifier in your circuit. I have never see or used a 20dB attenuator. The maximum I have ever had to use was 12dB.

If you have an aerial amplifier, then it would be better to take it out of circuit.

0 Ratings
MitoMan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Hi i bought mine from Amazon,[ Aerial Coaxial Cable Variable Attenuator ] had since 2014 and costs around £7.00. I have mine set to about 54 and no problems. Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
djpatrick
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks I will give this a try - I did want to steer clear of the variable kind but good to know they work well and last. Better than a long line of smaller attenuators anyway.

0 Ratings