Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisp18
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Who do I contact for support

Go to solution

Yesterday I got the YVM4 error when trying to access the On Demand players i.e BBC iPlayer. Tried a soft reset by pressing the blue on/off button at the front for 8 secs but problem still persisted.

I then turned power off/on via the switch at the back and problem gone!

Today I found that On Demand and BT Vision were not available, got error saying not connected to network.

Tried both the previous solutions and by turning power off/on at the back I got demand back and network showed connected.

My broadband was functionning correctly on my PC so loss of network.

The YouView Community forum has a number of posts about this, with some people getting the problem on a regular basis, and it is being reported that it may be due to the box losing the DNS setting. The following fix was suggested by YouView:

Please go to Settings > Network & Internet > Network Connection Status. If the status is saying CONNECTED, please try the following steps: 

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wired Connection. If the box is saying AUTOMATIC, switch it to MANUAL. Click Next. You will see three rows of numbers. Leave them as they are and click Next. You will see two rows of boxes, Primary and Secondary DNS. Leave the second row blank. Put a single '8' into the Primary DNS boxes so that it reads 8.8.8.8. Click Next and when it finishes finding your router, click Finish. 

Turn off your router, and reset your box. Turn the box and then the router back on again. When it resumes, you should be able to access On Demand content.

However there seemed to be some misgivings by users that this would actually make any difference.

Having had both the problems mentioned earlier I started to wonder who I should contact for support if I get problems. Should it be BT Vision as they supplied the box, or should it be YouView as it's their service.

Would appreciate some advice.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Who do I contact for support

Go to solution

I have mine setup for static ip addressing, due to the number of devices I have on my network - so not had that issue as of yet.

The reboot of router will flush the dns, so this is why it's recommended as if something had spammed dns cache it can cause numerous problems, so best to clear it out which is by rebooting the router - for pc's you can clear cache on the pc itself via command line - and on my pch-c200 i can clear the cache directly on that.

In regards to support, if you got the product from BT then BT should officially be providing the support and no-one else, but there should be no reason why you can't go directly to youview or humax to get other questions you may have answered

0 Ratings
bobjob
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
youview tend to ask if box is supplied from BT and if so ring BT.i still think this is a box problem,perhaps caused by the BT app.but never the less the Humax box struggles to stay connected,even though the Humax says its connected.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@bobjob wrote:
youview tend to ask if box is supplied from BT and if so ring BT.i still think this is a box problem,perhaps caused by the BT app.but never the less the Humax box struggles to stay connected,even though the Humax says its connected.

I mainly use Now TV as cancelling my BT Vision subscription and not had an issue with watching any on-demand through it, so it could be the bt software - have you tried any of the other on-demand apps to see if you get the same problems

0 Ratings
bobjob
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
thanks walkerx,will give that a go,you may be right about bt software,would explain why we are still waiting for Oct update.perhaps waiting for a fix.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@bobjob wrote:
thanks walkerx,will give that a go,you may be right about bt software,would explain why we are still waiting for Oct update.perhaps waiting for a fix.

yeh, I've got a retail version due to the pricing BT wanted to charge me for a BT Box

0 Ratings
chrisp18
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies and comments, much appreciated.

0 Ratings