cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
D-pez
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Why can’t I record programmes on my YouView+ box now I’ve given up BT-TV?

Go to solution

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why can’t I record programmes on my YouView+ box now I’ve given up BT-TV?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You should be able to record FreeView content.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Will-my-YouView-or-BT-Vision-box-from-BT-work-if-I-decid...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
D-pez
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
‘You should be able to’ isn’t a great help and I’ve read that BT page. The point of asking is that I can’t currently get the box to accept a recording instruction from the Freeview Guide
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Do you still have BT Broadband?

I think the box does rely on an Internet connection to work, now that the NewGen software is on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

When did you last succeed in  setting  a recording on the Youview box  

and which Youview box  model is it ?

0 Ratings
D-pez
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I suspect Keith_Beddoe is right - new generation software has stitched me up. I’m using the latest, small YV box with up to date software and I was able to record with no problems the day before. However as soon as I cancelled the BT-TV element of my contract all my recordings were wiped (as I was warned) but I had no warning that I would be unable to record thereafter. In fact, as in the official BT info referred to in the link above I fully expected to be able to.
0 Ratings
D-pez
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
I’m away from home now but on Sunday I’ll try a reset of the box
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@D-pez

When you cancel BT TV you should only lose access to the BT TV internet channel recordings , not normal Freeview recordings. Did you lose all recordings or just the BT TV ones?

I've cancelled BT TV twice before & not experienced any issues so as suggested a Maintenance Mode reset using option 2 first & then option 4 if that fails. A guide is found here

Are you setting recordings via the unit's Guide or by an app? I think you've answered this but just making sure.

I suspect that the BT TV app won't work without a BT TV contract but the Youview and TalkTalk ones will.

0 Ratings
D-pez
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Fascinating this!  After a few days away I return home, check my BT YouView box in the light of comments here and not only can I successfully record to it again but all my old (FreeView) recordings ar back. BT had told me categorically that I would lose those recordings when I cancelled my BT-TV account and sure enough, the morning after there was no sign of them. But here they are back again.

So after 3 or 4 years of paying a discounted rate for BT-TV, never having found anything we wanted to watch on it but using it just for Freeview recordings, we're where we wanted to be. And the YouView box has been paid for!

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I just use a BT YouView box bought locally, a couple of years ago, and its simply used for FreeView and catchup. I have never subscribed to any of the extra content.

I think the helpdesk have an interest in selling you more services, but they should not be misleading customers.

0 Ratings