Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bond_1337
Message 1 of 66

Why do BT not offer Sky Sports in HD?

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/analysts/regulated-prices/

The "Wholesale-must-offer price (from 1 June 2015)" price for Sky Sports 1 & 2 is £25.34.

However, Ofcom also state...

"The wholesale must-offer remedy will apply to high-definition versions of the included channels. However, we have decided not to set a price for supply of these channels. Instead we have included an obligation for supply to be on a fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory basis."

Sky Sports HD is available on Virgin Media. Therefore, for this to be on a "non-discriminatory basis" the channels must also be offered to BT at a "fair" and "reasonable" price.

With this in mind, Sky are obliged to supply these channels in HD to BT, therefore we have to assume it is a BT decision not to supply them to their customers.

Please can we get an official BT stance on this? Why is Sky Sports in HD not currently offered as part of your service?

Many thanks,

-Sam

0 Ratings
65 REPLIES 65
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 2 of 66

Re: Why do BT not offer Sky Sports in HD?

Sam,

Time and time again I've asked on this forum without a satisfactory reply. There were rumours that HD was coming soon when they launched their Champions League coverage. But all has gone quiet again.

Frustrating.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 66

This is a community forum. BT will not make official announcements on here about anything. You can ask for rumors and guesses from people on here and if BT announce anything official then it is very quickly reiterated on here. That is the best you will get...

The problem is without a set price sky can ask what they want and BT would then have to go through masses of legality with Ofcom to say they are not asking a fair price, and as we know that can take a very long time.

0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 4 of 66

Apart from the announcements about the Ashes, AMC etc etc which were all made here alongside the usual press release malarkey.

I would imagine that occasionally BT people come here so no harm in expressing frustration and asking for answers. Might not get them - but don't ask, don't get.
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 5 of 66

But we are under NDA from both within BT and from any suppliers/providers that we work with so unless all the contracts are signed for any new products/channels, we would be legally limited in discussing it.

The Mods are pretty good now about posting new developments as soon as they are allowed to do so.

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 66

What is more suprising is that with Ofcom  regulated wholesale price for the Sky Sports 1 & 2 SD channels being raised from June  that there has been no announced increase in the price BT charges for those channels.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 66

The annoying thing for me is that the WMO only applies to SS1/2 but under that I believe I read that Sky were not allowed to move huge amounts of content from 1/2 on to 3/4/5 etc. It appears with the cricket on this summer a fair chunk of FL92 games have been moved to SS5.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 66

During its review stage ofcom stated sky would have to keep premiership football and cricket on sky sports 1 and 2 otherwise they could be challenged to say they are withholding important sport and they would have to offer more channels.

So as long as they keep those two sports on 1 and 2 those are the only channels they need to offer, so obviously sky push it to the limit. Of course ofcom has started it's new review of the wmo so it could all change...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 66

They are not obliged to have all the premier league on Sky 1 - as was evidenced when they put an Arsenal game on another channel as they wanted to show all  of  a Darts tournament on Sky 1.

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 10 of 66

@zulu17 wrote:

They are not obliged to have all the premier league on Sky 1 - as was evidenced when they put an Arsenal game on another channel as they wanted to show all  of  a Darts tournament on Sky 1.

They are obliged to have the vast majority of it on SS1 and the rest, IIRC, on SS2. They won't get away with shifting PL footy off SS1 for more than the odd occasion, not only because of the OFCOM regs. but also because many people (including me) subscribe to SS1 *only* because all we are interested in is PL football. I can assure you that there'd be one hell of a stink if they change that part way through a season, quite apart from the WMO rules which are ongoing (or pending review).

0 Ratings