cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Why do I have to now pay for BT TV App Extra

Ordered BT TV  back in June - chose Classic Entertainment + 4K Extra as wanted HD channels including  Dave HD. Gio BT TV Extra for no charge which I used with Chromecast on another TV,

After a while decided to swap to Now TV - then realised it was a bad decision - had also lost Eurosport and Dave HD and found that I didn't really enjoy the Sky offerings - the ones I did like were free no Pick. BT TV Extra not really used as had Now TV package on up to 6 devices anyway.

Then asked if I could switch back to Classic Entertainment - told it was no problem, but that I would have to recontract BT Broadband for another 2 years. Then found that BT TV App Extra had been removed as part of the reactivation. Rang BT and told that I would have to pay £5 per month to get it back. 

Why do I now have to pay for the BT TV App Extra when it was previously included for no charge?

In fact, why do BT charge for it anyway? The functionality come with Netflix, Prime Video, and Now TV as part of their standard offerings.

Decided to cancel BT TV App Extra after a few days...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why do I have to now pay for BT TV App Extra

The Classic Entertainment package INCLUDES BT TV App Extra .

This is clearly stated in the BT Tariff Guide. So your Classic Entertainment pack has not been set up correctly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 6

@zulu17wrote:

The Classic Entertainment package INCLUDES BT TV App Extra .

This is clearly stated in the BT Tariff Guide. So your Classic Entertainment pack has not been set up correctly.

It's listed as a chargeable addon Here 30 day rolling @ £5 pm, I think it used to be free, It's not something I ever used so not sure.

*Edit*
You see different addons if you add classic to your cart, the link above defaults to the new plans.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Sorry that link that @-Richie-  posted doesn’t make much sense to me . 

I can only go by the BT Tariff Guide which was last confirmed on 25 September and that and it’s previous versions since the launch of the new TV packages has consistently shown that  the Classic Entertainment package has the BT TV app Extra INCLUDED.

As such the customer should not need to order BT TV App Extra as a separate chargeable item as it is INCLUDED in  the package and should be provided when the package is ordered and activated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

So to summarise we have an inconsistency between the BT Tariff Guide and the BT Order Process which will either cost the customer an extra £5 month or deprive them of a package feature.

probably ought to be sorted out 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Many thanks for your help - contacted BT and pointed out the entry in the Tariff guide. They admitted that it contradicted what was said elsewhere and offered me the choice of cancelling my BT TV agreement, or them offering a refund to sweeten the cost, but unfortunately not enough to cover the cost for the remainder of my contract for App Extra.

As I do love the BT TV system (especially getting Dave in HD), I agreed to take the refund, and as I can select which months I actually need App Extra, rather than having it all the time.

Have now signed up for Now TV outside of the BT TV package. It means that I have to use the Now TV app in BT TV rather than using the Guide, but all programs seem to be available on demand, and Sky allow me to have 6 devices accessing the services rather than the 4 limited by App Extra.

Have also saved a lot by using Tesco Clubcard  vouchers to fund Now TV for 6 months, and Now TV have just offered me Cinema for 6 months at a special low price which would probably not have happened if I had used the BT TV Now TV option.

0 Ratings