cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyyork
Message 1 of 12

Why doesn't Youview box reconnect?

If my broadband connection goes down the Youview box does not automatically reconnect to my network, I have to go into the menu and manually reconnect.  Youview claim the box should reconnect and the problem is with my provider.

Any ideas why it is not reconnecting?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why doesn't Youview box reconnect?

@andyyork wrote:

If my broadband connection goes down the Youview box does not automatically reconnect to my network, I have to go into the menu and manually reconnect.  Youview claim the box should reconnect and the problem is with my provider.

Any ideas why it is not reconnecting?

The problem is nothing to do with the provider

The issue is to do with the networking part of Youview which does not work correctly.

0 Ratings
andyyork
Message 3 of 12

That is what I thought, this is the response I got from YouView support (they got my provider name wrong, I am with BT)

We are sorry to hear you are having this issue. The information you were given is correct, the YouView box should automatically connect when an internet connection is detected. You may need to make sure that the wired connection is set to 'Auto' in the settings for this to happen.

Go to settings > Network & Internet > Wired connection and change this to Auto if is not already. 

If you still have the issue then you will need to contact TalkTalk directly regarding this. 
0 Ratings
dmcb
Message 4 of 12

Was there a resolution to this? Mine is doing the same thing!
0 Ratings
halestone
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

this problem has been around since bt started giving the youview boxes out, bt know about the problem and did say an update was coming........ but guess what nothing happened 🙂

0 Ratings
dmcb
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for the reply, good to know. Hopefully it will be resolved sometime soon - very annoying when the mobile app fails because there's no connection!
0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

I was given a workaround for this which seems to work.

Allocate a fixed IP address for your youviw box - it's somewhere in the settings part of the youview. I allocated 192.168.1.253 to mine and then went into the home hub and restricted the DHCP range to exclude that address. My home hub was reboting itself with alarming regularity recently and the youview box was reconnecting afterwards with no issues.

It's definitely worth a try Smiley Happy

richiejames
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I'm going to give this a go too thanks, had 2 different BT Youview boxes which both have this problem.

I also didn't trust the mobile app to set recordings, in case my box had disconnected and failed to reconnect... Does anyone know whether the record command still gets sent to the box when the connection is re-established?
0 Ratings
richiejames
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

... I've answered my own question. I disconnected my Youview box from my HH5, then set up some recordings from the mobile app. After 5 mins I reconnected my box, and the scheduled recordings appeared on the list. So I'm guessing they must be buffered somewhere until the box reconnects.
0 Ratings
oldbluey
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

My Infinity connection drops about 3 times every week and (despite fiddling with the settings) my YouView box never connects after the dropouts.

I have complained to BT several times about the dropouts but the situation has not improved and is made worse by the YouView problem.

I was previously with Sky Fibre which never disconnected, so I can't understand why Infinity should be so unreliable. The YouView box is buggy and unreliable too - so I am counting down the weeks until the happy day that I will be out of contract and able to leave BT for good.

0 Ratings