cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pb129
Message 1 of 6

Why don't BT sales tell you sports and extra channels won't work without direct Ethernet cabling?

Having just spent nearly 2 hours trying to set up a new youview box and then being told by BT that the sports and extra channels will not work without a ten metre cable from my router to the box, I am a bit fed up with BT. Why do the sales staff not point this out when adding on the packages? Trying to cancel the package took up 90 minutes today and I am now returning to sky for TV. Really poor service from BT.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why don't BT sales tell you sports and extra channels won't work without direct Ethernet cabling

Mine are working fine with the powerline adapters.  I'm sure they say somewhere using powerlines may work but isn't officially supported as peoples home wiring varies and impacts on the effectiveness of using the adapters.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Pb129
Message 3 of 6

Re: Why don't BT sales tell you sports and extra channels won't work without direct Ethernet cabling

I haven't got these adapters as BT do not send them with the box (not sure why as loads of people must have the same problem) and I don't want to buy them and then they don't work. The crazy thing is my Sky adaptor that streams sky on demand from the router to the sky box worked perfectly with the you view box, but then wouldn't let me get the extra channels or sport? So seems like its blocked on purpose and nothing to do with broadband speeds (mine is infinity and super fast. Seems crazy that the BT solution is a ten metre cable, take it or leave it!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

As a previous poster suggest if you are not happy with the Ethernet cable then your only option is to buy a pair of 500Mbps HomePlugs and if they do not work then simply return as faulty to the retailer.

Here is a cheap suggestion -

TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - £24.99

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

you might not be able to stream wirelessly as the adaptor u are using may not be capable to use multicast streams and thus why it works with standard on demand services
0 Ratings
Grecian83
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Received my youview box from BT in June and mine came supplied with Powerline adapters that I am using for a second box upstairs and they work fine with all the internet channels. Never had a problem.
0 Ratings