cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Why is BTTV so out of date ?

Wondering if BT care at all about their YouView tv platform. Take the new pro box for example, the voice search does not work, the remote finder feature as never been activated, ghost recordings and hardly any good streaming apps. Also the multi room box is painful slow and runs very warm and does not even have WiFi in 2022.

Not a complaining post just trying to figure BT out. Their TV service against Sky looks so unloved. Where is Disney, Paramount, Apple TV, discovery plus, Spotify and YouTube for example. I know these apps are all on SmartTVs and streaming sticks so why can’t BT develop something more akin to 2022 than 2012.

Does not bother me we have Sky Q and only have BTTV for BT sport as it’s cheaper than having it on Sky. Just wonder if it’s a service that’s being wound down slowly and if not it needs a massive upgrade.

Also why don’t BT offer any WiFi 6 capable routers on their broadband deals. My local internet company as offered WiFi 6 capable Mesh systems with all Full Fibre deals using their own infrastructure and are easily cheaper than BT for over a year.

Always thought of BT as a bit of a leader especially in their network equipment.

We have had COVID but that doesn’t seem to effect all other companies providing internet.

Anyway keep doing what your doing BT, your nailing it.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Why is BTTV so out of date ?

Our Pro Box works exactly as expected and delivers what we need at a cheaper price that the equivalent Sky package. 

We use Roku's for all the other streaming platforms that aren't available on BT TV and the Roku's also give us the full flexibility of taking a little stick with us if we holiday in the UK so we can still watch the various streaming services inc NowTV and BT Sport...

BT TV isn't marketed as competition for Sky or Virgin Media but an alternative competitively priced product for those that want everything with BT. 

I think your expectations are set too high...

Message 3 of 26

why would they be winding it down if they are making new subscribers sign up to 24 months? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

I don't have the pro box. I have an older version of the Youview box but hardly use the apps on the box now. I use the Amazon Firestick for all the apps.

I now tend to only use the BT Youview box if I want to record a TV show or watch a Freeview channel.

Message 5 of 26

They appear to be changing their strategy away from BT TV as anything more than just a reseller of NOW TV and certainly away from BT Sport in terms of what it was initially intended.  Yes it's a joint venture with WB Discovery but I've worked in a JV myself and everyone knew it would end up being a full takeover and that was exactly what happened.  I'm fairly sure that with the 4 years stipulated in the deal BT will have sold up.

The Pro Box is a massive disappointment buggy, unreliable and with features that just don't work.  My current plan remains to switch to Sky's puck when that launches standalone but like you keep BT TV for BT Sport (and hopefully be able to save some cash when Discovery+ gets added in).  

Message 6 of 26

I’d expect after the sport merger that BTTV would carry on in the same way Virgin TV do by integrating everyone’s services within their Box. i.e Now, Discovery, WB , Sport etc.

be very strange if they’d simply ditch their TV service and the box they just made. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

In fairness BT TV is offering a budget service using dated transmitter technology with bolt on platforms. It is disjointed and because of youview looks somewhat dated and therefore also glitchy at best.

Sky is a different kettle of fish altogether and does provide a glossier experience but at a cost unless you negotiate hard for a package deal. Sky though still also has issues. No watchlist on Q is a big issue for me.

Virgin I've never used, they cabled every home in my village except our street, but that's another story. I've seen their offering through family and again it's not a patch on Sky in my opinion, seems expensive too!

The Pro box is not good and I'm pretty sure BT are going crazy with Sagemcom to get it right!

I use Apple TV too but that's far from ideal for the UK, no EPG, no direct link with Netflix and surprisingly often programs available via some apps turn up some days later than they do with Sky, I just don't understand why that may be.

I'd have kept BT if the Pro Box functioned correctly and if HD was more available, why buy an OLED to watch SD content.

So take your choice.

Easyjet or BA Business Class 😊

Message 8 of 26

@FC12Yeah I don't expect BTTV to be ditched it'll continue but merely as a platform reselling other's content without much new and exciting. The focus has switched to 5G/Fibre rollout which is why they looked for buyers/partners for BT Sport.

Message 9 of 26

@PJCORNELLY  To be fair, you comment sums everything perfectly. THe Pro Box is pretty much under par, and doesnt do what it says on the tin.  Only use BT to get the Big Sport package at a reasonable price.

Message 10 of 26

We're working on almost every one of the features mentioned as missing. There are no plans to ditch BT TV - in fact there are BIG things coming, starting next month, with lots more to come over the next couple of years.

The Pro box is the enabler - it allows us to do a lot more than we've ever been capable of before. We had to start completely from scratch though, with new hardware and a new operating system. We're now working though a prioritised list of features and bug fixes.

p.s. some of the things in the list we're not allowed to do. E.g. Disney+ exclusive contract with Sky.

0 Ratings