cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mispeltyuoth
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Why should I pay for this rubbish?

I've read on here that a lot of people seem to be suffering from the Now TV 'buffering' issue. I have a 4K box that's less than a couple  of weeks old and I've watched - or I should say, tried to watch - 3 episodes of Coroner on catch-up and every one of them has stopped at around 20 minutes in. I just get pretty coloured blobs going around until the box gives up and ends the programme. So, I thought, I'll come out of the app and start again. No joy! So I fast forward and back and still it's stuck.

I know, I'll watch something else (FBI) and lo and behold, about 20 minutes in, the same thing happens only this time the whole box freezes up and I can't do a damn thing with it. I'm (hopefully) recording something on a Freeview channel so don't want to switch the box off - the box was actually a replacement for the previous box which refused to record anything after about 10.30 at night!

Why the hell should I pay BT £30 a month or whatever it is for this rubbish? If it's a broadband speed issue, BT shouldn't sell me a product that doesn't work with my broadband - they are (allegedly) the experts so should know better than me whether my broadband speed is adequate for Now TV. Amazon Prime works so why doesn't Now TV?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why should I pay for this rubbish?

Hi @mispeltyuoth 

I believe there is a known issue on the BT 4K box when viewing NowTV.

I don't have the NowTV package so can't comment personally.

I do believe BT is aware of it and there is meant to be a fix coming.

One of the frustrating things about BT is how you report things like this, other than complaining on these for forums, or ringing BT (in my experience, more than 30 minutes to have the call answered!, and then the person doesn't seem able to help)

What I would suggest you do is raise a complaint, you can do this online via the BT website. Then you have a formal registration of the issue logged against your account.

Make sure BT have the right contact details for you, so you can say, email me about this, phone me on this number, etc.

They normally take  about 2-3 days to get back to someone that has raised a complaint.

My advice is this, log your complaint, explain in a calm way how it is affecting you, ask how this can be fixed? Listen to what they say, and ask if they can offer you something in the way of compensation for the problems you have been having.

Good luck, and update the forum on how you get on! 

*** Edit ***

Just to add, the importance of logging a formal complaint if that is that it is recorded on your account.

So in a month from now, if the issue is not resolved, or is fixed and comes back, BT can see how long you have been putting up with the issue, and that will help you when asking for compensation.

0 Ratings
mispeltyuoth
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the advice. I've raised the complaint and will update when I've had a response

0 Ratings
mispeltyuoth
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

As I know there are others having similar problems with the so-called 'buffering' issue on Now TV, I thought I'd provide an update:

I've had a number of conversations with someone from the BT TV team who are looking into the issue. He has acknowledged that there is an issue - also reported by others - and it is being investigated. I'm due another update from them next week.

One suggestion that was made that, I must admit, I haven't tried yet, is to use the NowTV app on my smart TV rather than through the box. As I've only used NowTV on catch-up, I guess this is possibly a solution but, if I'm honest, I've had far fewer problems in the last week or so.

Fingers crossed for a resolution soon.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Is this the same issue? From the thread at https://community.bt.com/t5/TV-Content-including-BT-Sport/They-ve-went-and-done-it/m-p/2108163#M2350... it appears they are aware & are looking into it

https://help.nowtv.com/service-status

We’re aware that some NOW TV Boost customers with a Sky Sports Pass are experiencing issues with streaming quality on YouView boxes. To make sure all customers can continue to enjoy the latest sporting action, we’ve reduced the streaming rate from 50 to 25 frames per second on all Sky Sports channels for now. We’re sorry about this issue, and we’re working hard to get it fixed as soon as we can. You can continue to enjoy other NOW TV Boost features on your YouView box, including full HD, surround sound and streaming on 3 devices at the same time.

0 Ratings
mispeltyuoth
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I've no idea if it's the same issue. When I first spoke to BT after registering a formal complaint, they didn't seem to be aware of the issue I was having. More recently however, they seem to have had more people reporting it.

Just to confirm, though, this issue arises (for me) when I'm streaming NowTV via the app on a 4K box - not watching 'live' programmes.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

That looks to be the same issue then, Now are working on it apparently

0 Ratings