Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malcg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Wi-fi Connected Youview ever?

Go to solution

Hi all

i have just moved home to a home built in 2005 and am having issues with Powerline adapters. They continually drop out when watching BT extra channels and BT Sport. Running an Ethernet cable is not possible as this is a rented apartment. The main BT point, as normal, is in the hallway and the TV point is in the lounge on the far wall from the hallway. Not an unusual set up in the UK.

My question is, will there ever be a youview+ box with Wi-fi? The BT Player and BT Sports Player on iOS devices works well with no drop outs. I can even air-play from my iPad to my Apple TV and it works perfectly. I understand that the isssue is with the multicast setup on youview but why does the players (Eurosport also works) via Wi-fi so why is this an issue with youview?

i am connected with Infinity 2 so broadband speed is not an issue. I have searched the forums and tried all of the fixes without success.

Is there any way forward with this issue, which looks like a lot of people have? Perhaps BT Player and BT Sports Player on Apple TV?

Any help would be appreciated as I am paying quite a lot per month for a service that is not up to spec.

Regards

Malcolm

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wi-fi Connected Youview ever?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The BT extra channels are delivered using Multicast, which cannot easily be distributed over wireless.

The BT approved Mini Connectors usually work well. Which powerline adapters are you using?

0 Ratings
malcg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Keith Thanks for the response.

I am using the BT Flex 600 with passthrough socket although I have a BT Flex 500 in the bed room as well which supplies my iTunes library.

I have tried all sorts of fixes suggested here, reseting the adapters, setting Static DNS on youview box etc.  I did have the router intially sitting on an extention socket next to the BTTV and this solved the issue.  The prblem this cause though was BT Infinity dropped from 62-70Mb down to 40Mb over a period of a couple of weeks.  AFter an engineers visit he did say that the router should be in the master socket and he did replace that.

I am at a loss to what can be done short of rewiring the apartment, which of course I can't do since it a rental property.  Previous occupants used Sky for Broadband & TV and they had no issues.

Regards

Malcolm

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Are the connected up as shown on this page and are they designed to work together?

Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access this link, and any other links I post.
If you are connected To BT Broadband, and you cannot access the link, then please let me know. Thanks

0 Ratings
malcg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Keith

Yes single Flex 600 connected to router and others acting as slaves.  For broadband they work well, when I was getting 60Mb+ on the router I would get 56Mb+ at each adapter. So bandwidth is not an issue simply the multicast issue.

Now I can get round this by disabling the wi-fi on the BT Hub and linking via Apple Airport Exreme as they are passthrough Multicast devices as long as you enable IGMP Snooping.  Issue with that is I have only two at the moment and would really need a third ... but I coul utilise the powerline adapters for the server link.  Only issue then is the space I have available in the hallway.

Would like to though use the exting equipment I have as the BT Smart Hub does give good wi-fi but I know the BT Hub does not pass through multicast to the wifi.

Just annoying that there is no simple solution, I will try the Apple wifi route when I can find my other Airport Extreme (still in a box somewhere after the move).

Regards

Malcolm

0 Ratings
malcg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

Just noticed on the BT Web site there is a new product called "BT Mini Connector Kit" which is specifical stated for BT TV.  Is this product different from the Flex 600 range?

Can't seem to see any technical details, don't want to buy more kit if it wont make any difference.

Regards

Malcolm

0 Ratings
Highlighted
gazm1990
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Yes the BT mini connector kit are the recommended powerline adapters for BT TV and work very well in my experience. They provide faster speeds than the Flex 600 too. If you call BT they will usually send a pair of them out for £20 if you have BT TV.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@malcg

See this post by a moderator https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

BT only approve the mini connectors, which are available at a discounted rate of £20, at the time the BT YouView order is placed, or if you are an existing BT YouView customer.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57213

0 Ratings
malcg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

All

Thanks for the info have taken the plunge and ordered the mini connectors. Hopefully this will resolve the issue as it is getting worse. Just a few IPC errors but a lot of black screens for a couple of seconds, pauses in the playing, recordings failing etc.

if it wasn’t for the fact the broadband speed drops from 55Mb down to 40Mb download by plugging into the extension socket it would be worth it as no issues with BTTV.

I will let you know what happens, I will for a while switch off the other Flex 600 to see if the minis solve the TV issue. Then I will add it back and see what happens.

Regards

Malcolm

0 Ratings
sja681
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi, @Keith_Beddoe,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i tried to order a pair of Mini powerline adaptors via chat, who told me to call sales!

When I called them, they said I needed to speak to TV Faults (I don't have a TV fault, just a long ethernet cable) but I gave up waiting on an answer.

Surely there must be an easier way to order Mini powerline adaptors for £20!

0 Ratings