cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Will BT TV/YouView work with broadband (Infinity 1) only or is an aerial also needed

Go to solution

Hi,

Apologies if the answer is obvious or if this question is already answered.

My mother is getting the Infinity 1 broadband package and BT TV (via a YouView box).

My mother is also getting her aerial replaced, the existing one doesn't work (properly).

My question is, will my mother be able to use YouView and broadband to recieve BT TV or is the aerial also required ? Are there  any restrictions using broadband instead of an aerial ? (It is understood that one restriction is the need to connect the router to the YouView box.)

When ordering the package online BT didn't (to the best of my knowledege) flag to my mother that ordering a new aerial might not be necessary if she intends to use broadband as the YouView data input.

If the new aerial is not required my mother can cancel the new aerial installation and save money.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Will BT TV/YouView work with broadband (Infinity 1) only or is an aerial also needed

Go to solution

A working aerial will be needed to receive the DTT (aka Freeview) broadcast channels such as BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five etc.  The internet connection will be needed to receive the BT TV internet channels (including the BT Sport channels), such as National Geographic etc.

I suggest that the aerial may be fine and it is possible that it is the cabling which needs looking at and replacing.  Hopefully she is using a reputable installer who will not engage in unnecessary work.

Message 3 of 4

Re: Will BT TV/YouView work with broadband (Infinity 1) only or is an aerial also needed

Go to solution

Hi gomezz,

Thanks for the quick reply/answer.

As a result of your answer I now know that my mother needs both the aerial and internet connection.

The aerial installation is being done as part of the BT broadband/BT TV contract. BT subcontract the aerial installation work out to Total Support Group (TSG). Hopefully TSG will be honest and professional when they carry this work out.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

If your mother is like me and stays between two transmitters make sure that they point the aerial to the correct transmitter so she can pick up the right local ITV news at 6.

I have been with BT TV and Youview + just under 23 months now and have been mostly happy with the service.

I have also been on Infinity 2 over 4 years now.

Darren

0 Ratings