cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Will BT Youview box still work with new broadband provider

Go to solution

Hi

I am looking to cancel BT and change broadband provider. Will my Youview box still work ok as I only use it for recordings and catch up apps?

I live out in the sticks and still on copper, however Airband have now installed fibre cables and have offered excellent deals. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Will BT Youview box still work with new broadband provider

Go to solution

@Gornam 

Yes it will still work regardless of who provides your broadband but only as a Freeview recorder with no access to BT TV subscription channels. The remote recording app will still work as well.

Be aware that if you received the box via BT with a BT TV contract and that date was after 13/12/2019 the box was only supplied on loan and has to be returned or you'll be charged.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi

Many thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry to raise this issue again but I contacted BT regarding keeping the box and was told that as I received a new box in December 2020 then it would have to be returned. 
When I pointed out that this was because the previous box was faulty I was told that anything supplied after 13/12/19 should be returned regardless. 
is this correct?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Gornam 

Yes unfortunately they are correct BUT if you decide not to return the unit you will be charged an amount which you may think is acceptable.

Youview units can be picked up relatively cheaply on eBay (rarely new though) but you may have existing recordings you wish to keep or haven't watched yet. It's a balancing act really. Obviously any subscription channel recordings will be lost.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I the same positon, about to cancel Broadband and BT TV contracts. Can I ask if you went ahead and kept the BT youview box and does it still work OK for Freeview channels and recording?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Peteman 

It will still definitely work for Freeview recording & viewing but you will probably have to pay for it as explained previously.

I still use 2 that I've had before the T&Cs were revised.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

For reference here are the current prices charged for non-returned equipment as of 19/10/22 -

Starman_0-1666204475488.png

Quoted from https://www.bt.com/help/tv/how-to-return-and-recycle-your-bt-broadband-hub-and-bt-tv-box-fo

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

HI Tim,

Will "internet mode" still work as well?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@robbiegee123 

No, you need both BT broadband & an active subscription for that. I also believe that any recordings made in IP mode will be inaccessible when reverting to aerial.

0 Ratings