Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DonCaboose
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Xbox One causes Picture breakup

Go to solution

Hi all,

I've been searching for an answer to this on the net but haven't found a definitive one...

Moved into a new build home a month ago and had BT activated (50mb Broadband and the UHD Youview box). Had to have an aerial installed too as they don't come as standard anymore. After some fiddling the aerial engineer fitted an amplifier and the signal was very strong.

However I have noticed that when I eventually plugged in and turned on my Xbox One, the picture of some (not all) Freeview channels (Subscription channels are fine) starts breaking up and the signal strength/quality drops massively. It's mostly annoying when I'm recording something on the Youview box whilst using the Xbox at the same time and it ruins the recordings. As soon as the Xbox One shuts down fully, the signal jumps back up close to 100% for both strength and quality. 

I've read in some places that the amplifier may be boosting the signal too much and over loading the Youview box, but why does this only become a problem when the Xbox One is on? Both are connected by HDMI to the TV and I've separated the Xbox and Youview wires as much as possible without going as far as removing one of them from my TV Stand.

Any help will be appreciated!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Xbox One causes Picture breakup

Go to solution

Hi @DonCaboose

Could you try seperating the two cables, the HDMI and the aerial/coax, as far apart as possible and see if this resolves the issue if so...

The best way to resolve this issue is to completely seperate the aerial/coax cable and the HDMI lead from the Xbox permanently and have this as your set up

another alternative is to buy better screened cables for both, the aerial/coax cable should be one with both braid and foil shielding, the aerial cable should be the priority in this instance.

Please let me know if the seperation removes the issue.

Many thanks,

James

Community ModeratorJames
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
DonCaboose
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi James,

I tried the separation approach in different ways and but due to cable length and not wanting to keep the Xbox and BT youview box in separate cabinets, it didn't really solve the problem.

I ended up buying an adjustable signal attenuater which has dropped the signal strength to between 65% and 85% but it has so far cut out the interference to the Freeview channels when I turn on the Xbox.

Thanks for the help.
0 Ratings
danny171
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @DonCaboose, I'm having exactly the same problem you had... I'll order an "adjustable signal attenuator" (whatever that is!) but once I've got it - is it easy to install/use? Appreciate any additional advice you can offer.

0 Ratings
DonCaboose
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Hi Danny,

Yes its very easy. Just plug it into the back of your BT box and then the freeview/attena cable into the attenuator. Turn the adjustor, should be a small cylindrical piece, round until your signal quality/strength drops to 60-70%. Alternatively turn on your Xbox while watching an affected channel and adjust it until the picture clears. Not had any problems since.

Hope it works for you too.