Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyh
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

YV not recording all of olympic programme

Hi

Several times I have set up YV to record the curling. Today the EPG showed from 13:05 to 16:15 on BBC2. At 13:22 the curling had the mid game break and the commentator handed to someone else even though the event continued to be shown on the same channel. It was at this point YV stopped recording even though EPG still shows the programme as continuing to 16:15. Who is at fault here? Is it the BBC transmitting a 'program end' signal, the EPG lying or BT or YV?

This has happened several times over the last couple of weeks.

Ta, Andy.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: YV not recording all of olympic programme

It is most likely to be the BBC sending the wrong signals unfortunatley. This is even more annoying when you take into account the whole point of the AR (Accurate Record) system is to cope with live programs that overrun etc. The BBC are normally pretty good with this system, but it looks like something is going wrong this time.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

andyh --- 

I recorded the BBC 2HD olympic programs on a different recorder today and they recorded accurately. 

The programme that started at 13:05 ran for 192 minutes so end time would be c 16:17. - that transmission included the first half of the GB mens curling match which commenced at 15:00.

The next programme started at 16:18.  That contained the second half of the curling match.

So to record todays mens GB curling match you would have needed to have set two programmes from the EPG (or have done a Series record)

0 Ratings
andyh
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

zulu17 --

Yes I agree, the epg for BBC2 (ch2) said 13:05 - 16:15. I set this to record. As stated at 14:22 (typo in OP) the recording stopped in the mid match break with a run time of 01:17:35. I have just had a closer look at the end. The commentator said that they were taking a short break and were handing over to Claire. A banner then came up saying the match would continue on BBC2. I am on BBC2, I am recording 13:05 - 16:15 on the epg on BBC2 and the the match continued on BBC2 until about 18:00, but yes, I would expect the recording to stop at 16:15. For some reason BBC2 must have transmitted the programme end at 14:22 even though the programme should obviously run until 16:15, and it did all on BBC2. This has happened a few times for the BBC2 Olympics - I have had one recording end at 08:10 when the epg was set up until 11:30.

I assume it is down to BBC to transmit the end of programme. I have attempted to ask the BBC about this but as you can imagine you only get as far as some silly girl who will simply 'log' your comments and I may get a response in 10 working days. I think this must be even worse than BT India. I am trying to help them with their problem and they are not the slightest bit interested in any technical details that may help them. If you thought trying to talk to BT was like talking to a brick wall try the BBC. Or does someone have a useful technical help phone number that they don't advertise?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

couple of observations ---First  I believe the SD BBC2 channels do have regional variations in their schedules so that might account for differences. Maybe they have regional inserts that have been causing the problem.

Second there is still an anomoly with the timings you quote  - the Mens curling match live action started at 15:00 gmt so 1hr 17:35 later would take the time to 16:17:35 which iis consistent with the EPG guide expecting the programmme to end at 16:15. If your recording (set for 13:05) starts with the curling which in real time didn't commence until 15:00 then it looks like you are actually missing the first portion of the programme.

At least the programmes are available on the BBC iplayer in catchup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
andyh
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Yes you're right - I hadn't noticed that. I got home and put the match on and it started immediately. So like you say this must have been at 15:00 so I did miss the beginning (as per the 16:15 epg), not the end. Form all the indications it looked like the recording started at 13:05. The epg shows 13:05 - 16:15 and I have the whole recorded symbol, not the part recorded symbol. The programme info - the bit with the resume bar just before you play - still shows the record time as 13:05 to 14:22 (but in 12 hr) and a record time of 1h 18. So all a bit strange. As I say this happened at 2 or 3 times earlier in the week(s).

Thanks for the replies.

Andy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

One limitation of Youview is that appears that it can't handle more that one part recording of the same programme.

So if say Youview recorded the first part of a programme and that "ended" in some way then in some circumstances it will record the second or subsequent part of the (same) programme - at that point Youview loses/discards the first part of the recording and you only get access to the second (last) part of the recording.

Generally PVR recorders would time stamp a recording so that they can distinguish between multipart recordings of a programme. The Youview desginers seem to have disregarded what many consider good practises iand helpful features in recording.

0 Ratings