cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicjs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

You view box - poor signal - signal fine once plugged into the back of TV - HELP!

Hi all,

I am having issues with my Youview box.  Channels have recently become pixelated and channel re-scan has led to channels disappearing.

I have plugged the TV ariel directly into the TV rather than the box and the signals is working fine - the missing channels are present and working ok.

I did go through the tried and tested route of speaking to an advisor. Factory Reset led to more channels being lost and then intermittently coming back again which is bizaare.  The advisor stated that someone would ring back to organise an appointment for an engineer to come out, however (as per usual - see my posts previously about broadband issues!!!) - no one rang me and no engineer was organised to come out.

Can anyone help?  I dont want to go through the pain of speaking to a useless customer service person again just to go through exactly the same steps again and not get someone out/post a new box out to me.

Thank you guys once again for helping me to get the Broadband sorted back in late december 2016  (that one DID turn me to drink/stress).

Many thanks,

Nick

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Mallett94
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: You view box - poor signal - signal fine once plugged into the back of TV - HELP!

This is most likely a case of your signal strength being too high for the overly sensitive tuners within the YouView boxes.

When you are on the pixelated channel, if you hit the Blue Y button on your remote, scroll right 3 times and enter Settings. Scroll left once. Hit OK, then go down 3 rows to TV Signal Quality and it will show you the channel no. signal strength and signal quality.

In my experience that YouView box doesn't like a signal strength much above 70%. If this is the issue it can be solved by buying a signal attenuator box.
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: You view box - poor signal - signal fine once plugged into the back of TV - HELP!

That sounds about right to me.

The likes of Maplin sell attenuators , like 6 or 12dB plugin ones or a variable attenuator box. Depending how much above 70% strength you will determine what you need. Using the 12dB one will knock about 15-20% off so might be a good option.

BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hi @nicjs if after the above advise from others has not resolved for you, I'd be happy to take a look at the issue. If you send me your telephone number via PM. I can take a look for you. Thanks.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 5 of 5

I have 97% freeview power, it might be a 4G issue however not sure if new UHD box is suceptable to that. If you stay on the line long enough they will probably just send you a new box to try, I almost got to that stage.

0 Ratings