Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeeDub1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

You view box without broadband

Go to solution
I have been using a BT Youview box without any internet connection for several years. This morning the box decided to reset to factory settings, though I have no idea why. One of the first steps is that it demands to b connected to the Internet and refuses to proceed. Any ideas how to get around this?
The box refuses to tune, or display TV, or play recordings .
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: You view box without broadband

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I expect its asking for a software update, and will not continue until you connect it to the Internet.

All you can do is to connect it up to your home hub, and let it do the update.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

You will need to connect ito a broadband connection as part of the initial setup after a full factory reset or on acquiring a new Youview box  . So best to connect it up - if you have no conection at your present location  then can only suggest that you tempoarily relocate it to a location that does.

see (Stephen's post)

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/18998630#Comment_18998630

DeeDub1
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks. It looks like I have no option!
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@DeeDub1

Out of interest what version of Youview are you on , is it the one with everything in lists or in tile format?

If the former then connecting to the internet will update to the tile version which is marmite subject and I hate marmite. But with the list version you should be able to reset without an internet connection.

0 Ratings
DeeDub1
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
The interface has remained largely unchanged for many years. I'm not familiar with the list/tile distinction, but it seems 'listy' to me. I didn't quite understand which one demands Internet ("former" = list) but the box is not giving me any option to bypass connecting to the Internet a connection is mandatory.

I'll borrow a long Ethernet cable to link the box to my router for now, thanks. Maybe a range extender will be useful in the longer term.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I think a forced software update may be built into the firmware, especially if you say it crashed and reverted to factory settings.

I still have the "lists" version because I blocked the software update addresses on OpenDNS, so it still sees a response from the Internet, just not a software update, so it stays on the old interface.

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@DeeDub1

It might be possible to force a Maintenance Mode reset which might bypass the need for an internet connection & a forced update to the latest software. Have a look here.

I'd try options 1 & 2.

If you do have to use the internet & update to the latest software note that it is radically different and many of the useful features that your version has have been removed. Also you'll get a periodic nagging about no internet which can be annoying.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

at some point in time Youview box Setup process  started to require internet access  to allow you to agree to their Terms and Conditions (previously I believe  you could run the box without agreeing and it wouldn't access any internet services).