Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nellboo
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

You view box won’t connect to Internet

Hi
I’m really hoping for some help. My mum is a bt customer. However the box isn’t working correctly and I want to try to help her figure out why. We are not getting anywhere with the call centre. Neither of us are technical people so please bear with me. She’s paying £80 and getting no service!
The main issue is that the box won’t connect to the internet. Only one blue light appears on the box. The broadband service (on my mobile is good).
As an aside the remote is also really bad. (Already checked batteries). You have to press buttons several times before they work. Once it starts working it works well for a bit but if you don’t do anything for a while it goes back to being terrible.
Any step by step assistance would be so much appreciated.
NB
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Zombie
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: You view box won’t connect to Internet

Hi @Nellboo & welcome, so the Internet is fine, but your mum is not getting any of the subscription channels using bt tv?

I'm assuming that the Freeview channels that are delivered using the tv aerial are working fine?

How is the bt tv box connected to the router? Are you using an ethernet cable or a "powerline plug" set up? 

0 Ratings
Nellboo
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for responding. Yes all the freeview channels work but any subscription channel just displays in guide as no information available and mentions error YVM102.

I assume we are using a powerline plug as the box isn’t connected directly to the router. It is a TP LINK 500Mbps.
A bt engineer has previously attended and this set up did work when he left - for a day.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Some powerline adapters are not compatible with the multicast streams.

BT only supply the mini connectors, which are available at a discounted rate of £20, at the time the BT YouView order is placed.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57213

Nellboo
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Thanks Keith
Unbelievably my mum has had this box for over a year - and just renewed without ever having good functionality! However I could ring and see they might do me a deal on them.
How certain do you think this is the issue? I’m just puzzled that it did work for a short period.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

This issue has been reported before, not sure why it worked to start off with.

It may be worth temporarily running the Ethernet cable that came with the YouView box, between the home hub and the YouView box, to make sure its the powerline adapters causing the problem, and nothing else.

Are you using the TP Link adapters for anything else, or could they be replaced by the mini connectors, as you cannot run the two types together?

0 Ratings
Nellboo
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Ok will see if I can find it. I assume it needs to be that one or would any Ethernet cable be ok?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

@Nellboo wrote:
Ok will see if I can find it. I assume it needs to be that one or would any Ethernet cable be ok?

Any Ethernet cable will do, the one provided was about 10 or 15M I think. If they are close, then running an Ethernet cable between the two, is by far the most reliable way.

If it still gives problems with a direct cable, then more help is available on this forum.

0 Ratings
Nellboo
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Thank you
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 10 of 15

It looks like you have found the fault @Nellboo. As @Keith_Beddoe mentioned the mini connectors for £20 are very good. I'm sure that exsisting tv customers are entitled to them for £20 as well. I use them as my router is in the hall and they work perfectly. 

0 Ratings