cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timpreece
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

YouView+HD (UHD) box freezes when streaming and then locks up home network

I'm trying to isolate an issue with my home network. On a couple of occasions - while streaming TV (not 4k) using iPlayer or NowTV, my YouView+HD (4k) box has frozen. When this occurs, my home network freezes too. I'm unable to view web content or even log in to the router on 192.x.x.x address. 

My home network is based on a HH3 router with Cat6 cabling & 1Gb switches as follows:

Infinity 2 WAN->BT Modem->BT HomeHub3->Netgear 1Gb Switch->Cat6 cable->YouView+HD box

The HH3 has wireless access disabled & runs DHCP (although I does use MAC->Static IP allocations for my cabled devices). There is a seperate WAP on the network.

The only way to restore service is to reboot the HH3 and then bring devices back up again.

Any ideas !?

thanks

tim

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: YouView+HD (UHD) box freezes when streaming and then locks up home network

Hi Tim,

This sounds like a strange one! How often has it happened? When it does happen, can it recover automatically if you leave it long enough?

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
timpreece
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

On the two occasions it has occurred, I've power cycled the YV+UHD box so havent attempted to let it resolve itself. 

My network had been stable for 12+ months using a TPLink N900 as DHCP/DNS router. Streaming to the regular BT YouView+  box worked fine. Only when I subscribed to the YV+UHD service and swapped out the router for the HH3 I was sent did the freeze occur - both times when streaming TV to the YV+UHD box.

Agree - its odd - and it may be that the YV+UHD box is freezing up _because something else has failed on my network (although I would have expected it to report a connection error and exit gracefully).

I've got a couple of options for swapping out components in my network and am going to try to cable the YV+UHD box directly to the router (i.e. bypassing the Gb swich). Suspect its going to take a bit of digging to resolve 😐

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

I had a similar problem earlier in the year that I couldn't resolve. I got a new dell laptop. After browsing for about 10 minutes my laptop lost my wifi signal and my home network froze too. I'm was also unable to view web content on any other device like iPhone or iPad. I had to reset home hub 3 to get everything working again. Everything would work fine until I switched on laptop, then same thing happened. I tried new drivers etc in laptop but nothing worked. My BT contract had ended and I upgraded to fibre and got a home hub 5 and everyone worked fine after that.
0 Ratings