Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 8

YouView ITV/STV player - Important Information

Hi,

Today, from reading the TT forum I learned that to work, the ITV/STV player actually needs a working aerial connection, otherwise it won't display in the YV menu -

"Hi hubmonkey,

Further to my previous post.

To receive the ITV player you must have a working aerial connected to the YouView box. As ITV need to know what area you are in, to show you either the STV or ITV player.

The player uses the DTT aerial connection to determine this and if no aerial is connected then it won’t show the player."

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87720&page=3

And a bit further info that I already knew - to recieve the STV player, one has to live in the Scottish STV catchment area, ie in central or northern Scotland.

Hope the above helps.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: YouView ITV/STV player - Important Information

That's interesting. I thought it asked for a postcode to sort that out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@guilbo wrote:

That's interesting. I thought it asked for a postcode to sort that out.

Yes, so did I. But they had tried everything to sort out a users ITV player no show problems, only to find out he didn't have an aerial. He was using VOD only.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

So... maybe a dum question, but how do I connect an aerial up to my YouView box? There is an aerial running in to my telly.

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

@Bc1973 wrote:

So... maybe a dum question, but how do I connect an aerial up to my YouView box? There is an aerial running in to my telly.

connect the aerial to the youview box on the aerial input socket and then use a spare aerial lead (the box doesn't come with one, well, my humax didn't anyway) from the aerial output socket on the youview box to the aerial socket on the tv.

0 Ratings
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Yeeaaaahhhh... Probably should've known that shouldn't I. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Magdalenrow
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Even with an aerial, we still cannot see live TV on the ITV app... we can see ALL 4 ok if we log in.. but we cannot see live ITV even with an aerial... yes we have entered our post code and the aerial is plugged into the Youview box and we can see terrestrial ITV.. but, as usual, less than any help from BT .. to sort it out we are getting an Amazon Prime stick - lol - then we are getting rid of awful BT Youview as soon as our year's contract is over and going with Virgin who provide 4 times the speed and - you guessed it... an ITV app which really works.. and with their speed (200mbps) we'll never need terrestrial TV and an ugly aerial again. I can watch more TV channels on my mobile than on Youview - it's a pathetically bad deal, with an equally bad broadband deal. If you are in a town, go with Virgin and ditch BT forever.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

This thread which dates back several years to 2012 relates to the ITV Player on Youview. That is an on demand/catch up player that currently offered SD quality programs. now in 2016 ITV Player is now known as ITV Hub  but it remains on Youview as an on demand/catch up player. No live ITV channels are currently available via the ITV Hub player on Youview. As Youview is designed to receive the Freeview channels ITV channels can be viewed as received by an aerial.

The only live channels or live Tv broadcasts currently on Youview are  the Freeview channels received via a suitable aerial , any subscription channels that your BT , TalkTalk or Plusnet TV package delivers via IPTV , plus a few Redbutton services providedby Arquiva , plus  the BBC Iplayer on Youview has the various BBC live channels including national BBC channel variations , plus ALBA and S4C and the BBC Sport App on Youview also has live streams on some events.

0 Ratings