Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveV52
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

YouView Remote will not switch on new LG TV

Go to solution

Having just bought a new LG TV I tried reprogramming my YouView remote control to switch the TV on and off.   I followed the procedure as described on the BT website using the code 2992 for LG as per the list of codes provided but this didn't work.   I phoned BT for help and followed the same procedure again while the adviser  made sure that I was doing everything correctly.   The correct sequence of lights appeared with each step meaning that remote itself was functioning properly.

The adviser then suggested that I contact LG to find out if a new code would be appropriate for this new (2019) model of TV.  I did that today and LG told me that the codes for a BT YouView box are set by BT and not by the TV manufacturer!   Hence LG's advice was for me to contact BT.  Round in circles we go ...

Any ideas please?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: YouView Remote will not switch on new LG TV

Go to solution

It sounds like the person you spoke to at LG didn't understand the question, you could try ringing them again and hope you speak to a different person or repeat steps 4 - 7 of these instructions until it works

0 Ratings
DaveV52
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for your very prompt reply.  I tried the instructions again several times with the following results:

Step 1: Blue light flashed 4 times (not 3).  This also happened with all my previous attempts.

Step 2: Blue light flashed 3 times.

Step 3: The TV turned off quite quickly.

Step 4: The TV would not turn on again.  However the blue light remained on and the remote control appeared to have frozen.  I wondered if the batteries in the remote might be running low so I changed them but this made no difference for a few attempts.

I tried several more times with the new batteries and finally it worked to the extent that YV remote control would switch the TV on and off.   However all the other YV functions no longer worked and the blue light remained on until I removed and replaced the batteries.   Having done that everything now seems OK, but I am worried that as this was such a tortuous process that the remote control itself may be faulty or the solution may only be temporary.

We shall see ...

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Keep fingers crossed.   🤞

DaveV52
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
2 months on it's still working fine. Fingers being uncrossed slowly.
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @DaveV52 and @V_Meldrew 

Thanks for posting. It sounds like you guys have this one sorted. Kudos to you both. I'll mark it as solved but if there are any other problems post back.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I’ve not looked at the printed instructions or indeed the BT website for this for some time but as I recall the instructions actually have a step missing and BT have acknowledged this in the past. 

as I remember it when the TV switches off the blue light stays on until you press OK on the remote which takes it out of programme mode. 

surprised they still haven’t changed this on the website. 

Wilf. 

0 Ratings