cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moojuiceuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

YouView & BBC Red Button+ (was connected Red Button)

Go to solution

Hi

I have noticed that the Red Button is now the internet based connected red button and no longer the Freeview aerial delivered MHEG service. The new connected red button lacks a lot of content that the old MHEG service provided (my father who is not IT literate uses the old MHEG Red Button for Football news).

I have read that the old MHEG service should still be available according to the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttonfaq#heading-3-how-can-i-access-the-o...

There appears to be no option within the YouView menus to get the old MHEG service back. I have also tried accessing the red button from Channel 200 and that dumps me back to BBC1 SD and the new service.

Currently running:

Manufacturer Software: 26.29.0

Component S/ware : 3.0.45

Platform Config: 3028

ISP config: 243

Humax DTRT1000

Feedback Group 2 (this is what it has been left on since I was on a BT Trial FR14 which has ended Dec '15). I have emailed Trials to see if this is a relevant to them or not as Im no longer trialling anything).

Can anyone shed some light on Red Button behaviour and how to get back the MHEG service?

Cheers!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: YouView & BBC Red Button+ (was connected Red Button)

Go to solution

Well on my Youview box if say I am on BBC2 and I press red button on the remote I get the option to  try the new Red Button +  service but if I don't have to select that option. I can alternatively  select the old style. news Index ,Sport Index,Weather ,Travel or INDEX . alternatively I can type I the page number.

Of course if you have non standard on your box (the versions you quote seem different to current releases) you may get different results.

I wouldn't! Expect Youview menus to have settings to control which version of BBC red button service you get. that would be controlled by you when you launch the BBC applications.

0 Ratings
pjm0512
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I've always liked the Red Button +, however it always seems to be very tempermental in showing up. The majority of the time when I am watching a BBC TV channel, and press 'TEXT' or the red button, nothing happens. It's usually OK on BBC One, but any other channel it's terrible.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Is it possible to revert to the previous service instead? 

Since my YV box updated this feature has gone and it forces me to use the 'connected ' version instead.

i would prefer to use the previous service. 

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

From the link above:

The original Red Button is still available on most TVs. If you’re in/on? Red Button+ you can access the original red button just by pressing the ‘text’ key on your television remote control.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Same here, since the August update, I now have a redundant "text" button on my YV remote, done the usual power off reboot, no changeSmiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Indeed. V annoying. I don't want this feature. The text button makes no difference for me. The only workaround I read was if your YV box wasn't connected to Internet but I don't feel I should have to jump through hoops to get this to work 😞
0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Having taken a second look at the new YV red button, I have also found it does not contain information that was shown previously, EG. in the business news section, the exchange rates and stock market information are missing.Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I read on the YV forum, press red button on a BBC Radio channel and you only get the original red button service.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

This really has to be a joke, how much brain power does it require to use the now redundant "text" remote button to pass a signal to the circuit that switches between the "old" & "new" text systems to indicate the internet connection is not available and thus force it to switch back to the old text system.Smiley Mad

Answers please on the back of a very small cigarette packet!

0 Ratings