cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wwwebber
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

YouView arrived today :)

Ok, well the YouView box arrived a day early which was pleasing. I came home today to find a note saying that a package had been left behind my bins lol !!. I'm lucky it was still there !!!. I looked at the tracking and it appears that I signed for it too which obviously wasnt true. Naughty Parcel Force !!.

Anyway the I setup the box very quickly, it was all intuitive, channels scanned, the box performed an software update and before I knew I was PVRing Freeview HD which I have waited ages for. I checked out the BTVision player and its quite nifty, identical content to normal BTV of course so I havent missed out on anything there. It also has HD films to stream which I didnt have before - these had to be doenloaded in advance on the old box. This is better than Skys Now Tv of course which is SD only. Just need 5.1 and I can cancel my Lovefilm sub !!.

The menus & guide are all very slick, modern and swish. The box performs quicker than I expected after reading comments on various forums so I'm pleased with that. Just been re-setting up all my series records and - most of them now in HD which I'm really chuffed about.

If I have time I will try the old box tomorrow afternoon and see what happens, the Mrs still wants to use it. I go to the states for two weeks tomorrow so I'll try it again when I get back , if it still works then it might be a go'er.

Any questions fire away.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: YouView arrived today :)

@wwwebber wrote:

Ok, well the YouView box arrived a day early which was pleasing. I came home today to find a note saying that a package had been left behind my bins lol !!. I'm lucky it was still there !!!. I looked at the tracking and it appears that I signed for it too which obviously wasnt true. Naughty Parcel Force !!.

Anyway the I setup the box very quickly, it was all intuitive, channels scanned, the box performed an software update and before I knew I was PVRing Freeview HD which I have waited ages for. I checked out the BTVision player and its quite nifty, identical content to normal BTV of course so I havent missed out on anything there. It also has HD films to stream which I didnt have before - these had to be doenloaded in advance on the old box. This is better than Skys Now Tv of course which is SD only. Just need 5.1 and I can cancel my Lovefilm sub !!.

The menus & guide are all very slick, modern and swish. The box performs quicker than I expected after reading comments on various forums so I'm pleased with that. Just been re-setting up all my series records and - most of them now in HD which I'm really chuffed about.

If I have time I will try the old box tomorrow afternoon and see what happens, the Mrs still wants to use it. I go to the states for two weeks tomorrow so I'll try it again when I get back , if it still works then it might be a go'er.

Any questions fire away.

Wow that was quick!

Webber, tonight, unplug your ethernet connection, whilst you are away on your holiday, as two weeks for a new platform is a long time. As it shouldn't have worked until Oct 19th. Smiley Wink Any specific questions to your situation PM me.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Always_curious
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

So the story of e-mail invitation to purchase one week ahead of the crowd is a porky! In setting it up did you need a BT home hub to connect or will any router working through BT infinity do the job?

I have an Apple Time Capsule, a wireless hard drive which is also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station with simultaneous dual-band support. It works well with Infinity and I wonder if it would support Youview? I would welcome youir thoughts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 27

@Always_curious wrote:

So the story of e-mail invitation to purchase one week ahead of the crowd is a porky! In setting it up did you need a BT home hub to connect or will any router working through BT infinity do the job?

I have an Apple Time Capsule, a wireless hard drive which is also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station with simultaneous dual-band support. It works well with Infinity and I wonder if it would support Youview? I would welcome youir thoughts.

Correct on the offer - but should not need the HH3 as I don't use it and I've got BT Vision

0 Ratings
Smir
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Pics??
0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 27

I'm jealous as I order mine yesterday and was told it would be here on Friday 12th. I just rang BT to ask if the powerline adaptors are automatically included and was told "The order will be with you on Monday 15th as you were informed yesterday" so I am a little frustrated.

Add to this that the My BT website which showed my order nicely yesterday (should have got a screen print) now just comes up with an error and won't show any package or order information.

The agent I spoke to had such a strong asian accent that I actually don't know whether I am getting powerline adaptors. Did you automatically receive them?

0 Ratings
wwwebber
Contributor
Message 7 of 27

For powerline adaptors - I neither asked for them nor received them. Kinda wished I had asked - it's free stuff afterall.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 27

So, mine has arrived and all is good so far. I didn't get Powerline adapters (I didn't ask) and the instructions even say they do not come as standard.

I love the YouView interface, although I have a few issues with the way some of the buttons work. Not sure if that is down to me being used to something else or the box not being intuitive enough. Probably a bit of both 🙂

The backwards epg seems to work really well. I tried an ITV program from last night and no adverts appeared and the program played straight away.

I have set up my recordings for tonight and set a test record for later this afternoon, so I will update then.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 27

@drhowells wrote:
So, mine has arrived and all is good so far. I didn't get Powerline adapters (I didn't ask) and the instructions even say they do not come as standard.

I love the YouView interface, although I have a few issues with the way some of the buttons work. Not sure if that is down to me being used to something else or the box not being intuitive enough. Probably a bit of both 🙂

The backwards epg seems to work really well. I tried an ITV program from last night and no adverts appeared and the program played straight away.

I have set up my recordings for tonight and set a test record for later this afternoon, so I will update then.

And what are you doing with your BT Vision box?

0 Ratings
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Hi

Can you get subtitles on the BBC iPlayer with this YouView box  ( you cant on the older bt vision box)  

Thanks

0 Ratings