cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
29James
Message 1 of 4

YouView+ box and more than one TV

Have just got BT TV with a non-recording YouView set top box.  Probably a mistake, so am about to upgrade to a recordable YouView+ box.  I note this has an Aerial OUT socket as well.

Now the question.  Would like to replace Sky box, which is in utility room with feeds from dish and aerial.  Output is fed via coax cable to an amplifier/splitter which then sends signal to all TVs in house via normal coax cabling and sockets.  If I place the YouView+ box in the utlilty room (i.e replacing the Sky box) and use the Aerial Out to feed into the amplifier/splitter, will I get BT TV on the Smart TVs in the house, or does it need the HDMI conection as a non-negotiable connection bewteen set top box and TV?  Probably too far to run HDMI from utility room to main Smart TV and not sure about my partner would apprecaite a black HDMI running around the ceiling!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: YouView+ box and more than one TV

@29Jameswrote:

Have just got BT TV with a non-recording YouView set top box.  Probably a mistake, so am about to upgrade to a recordable YouView+ box.  I note this has an Aerial OUT socket as well.

Now the question.  Would like to replace Sky box, which is in utility room with feeds from dish and aerial.  Output is fed via coax cable to an amplifier/splitter which then sends signal to all TVs in house via normal coax cabling and sockets.  If I place the YouView+ box in the utlilty room (i.e replacing the Sky box) and use the Aerial Out to feed into the amplifier/splitter, will I get BT TV on the Smart TVs in the house, or does it need the HDMI conection as a non-negotiable connection bewteen set top box and TV?  Probably too far to run HDMI from utility room to main Smart TV and not sure about my partner would apprecaite a black HDMI running around the ceiling!

Very similar to my set up.

First point is YouView boxes do not have an RF modulator (only an RF pass through) so if you want RF of the YouView signal out you will need to get an RF modulator and connect it to the SCART output (you can get HDMI to RF modulators but they cost more and the RF is never HD quality)

BUT

and potentially it's a big but

Recently some users have noticed that with the latest software update, the SCART output does not work if the HDMI output is connected to a TV.  This issue only seems to occur with some TVs so this may be an issue.  The official YouView response to this issue was a predictable "we can't be bothered sorting it, you'll have to lump it".  See Sarah's response here

FWIW the issue does not occur (yet) with my YouView DTRT 2100 feeding a Samsung TV

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

If you still have an old VCR kicking around that can be used as an RF modulator.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 4 of 4

@gomezzwrote:

If you still have an old VCR kicking around that can be used as an RF modulator.

Clever but maybe a bit bulky 

Having looked further, HDMI-RF modulators are about 5 times the price of SCART-RF modulators but most of them seem to modulate to a DVB-T signal in HD.  Having read further on them I can see all sorts of complications making that work but hopefully another user here has already done so and can report back.

0 Ratings