cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Rooly
Message 21 of 35

Re: YouView box arrived today

The box just gets stuck on the "nearly ready screen". All the wiring is setup correct don't get me wrong it's easy to setup and straight forward. God knows why they don't just send a replacement out. When I said I will just send the box back and not bother with it for all the hassle its caused they said its breaching my contract (where's the 2 week calling off period???) 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 35

@Rooly wrote:
The box just gets stuck on the "nearly ready screen". All the wiring is setup correct don't get me wrong it's easy to setup and straight forward. God knows why they don't just send a replacement out. When I said I will just send the box back and not bother with it for all the hassle its caused they said its breaching my contract (where's the 2 week calling off period???) 😞

How are you connecting the box to your TV. If you are using HDMI connection you might want to try a Scart connection.

The following statement was posted on a youview forum

we are aware of some reports of HDMI not working with a few TV models, and we will be adding an option into manually set HDMI resolution. We've just finished development for our October update so this feature will be part of the following release due early next year, and will help in situations where the TV and YouView boxes are unable to negotiate a compatible resolution automatically. It sounds as though this option will help you as you can see the "Nearly Ready" screen which is output at a lower resolution. Apologies that we don't have a solution for you right now, but it seems to only affect a very small number of TVs and customers, and we cannot reproduce the issue in our labs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
flags
Contributor
Message 23 of 35

Just another wee update. I've given the new YouView box a slightly harder night of it, to see how robust it is.

So at 6pm I had it record one freeview channel in HD, another in SD while we watched "Atonement" in HD through the BT Vision on demand option.

And forget the fact both recordings worked ok, that's incidental. The thing which is really impressive is that, with plain old ordinary broadband, there was no (obvious) buffering required for an HD movie at all. You press play ... and off the movie goes. No playback issues of any kind whatsoever.

Now THAT is impressive, nicht wahr ?
0 Ratings
flags
Contributor
Message 24 of 35

Now, here's a thing. I've got the YouView box in the living room. But what to do with the not-so-old Vision box ?

So I wired up the Vision box in our bedroom this morning, we've got a broadband point in there. And, surprise surprise, the Vision box still works perfectly. Full access to all the menus, recordings etc. That came as a complete surprise. So I think it might become a permanent fixture (would BT be ok with that ? It's not going to break anything, is it ?)
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 35

@flags wrote:
Now, here's a thing. I've got the YouView box in the living room. But what to do with the not-so-old Vision box ?

So I wired up the Vision box in our bedroom this morning, we've got a broadband point in there. And, surprise surprise, the Vision box still works perfectly. Full access to all the menus, recordings etc. That came as a complete surprise. So I think it might become a permanent fixture (would BT be ok with that ? It's not going to break anything, is it ?)

Great news flags! That's what I'd imagined and hoped would happen. You can have 2 BT Vision boxes working fine on one line for VOD but the PVR goes crazy as it relies too heavily on their servers. Hopefully (a) the YouView box maintains its recordings and schedules locally (and privately) and (b) they don't disable your BT Vision PVR server connection because you're a YouView customer.

Is your BTV box running Classic or New Look btw?

0 Ratings
flags
Contributor
Message 26 of 35

Hey, our vision box is a black one, it hasn't had the major software change yet. I have a horrible feeling we're tempting fate, but my gf is watching "desperate housewives" on demand through the YouView box while recording strictly in hd, while im watching one freeview channel and recording another on the vision box in the bedroom (yeah, this is as exciting as our saturday nights get !)
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 35

flags - a word of warning...

In regard to running two or more Vision boxes that are ethernet connected at the same time -

Multiroom always works at first, but after a while the BT servers become confused and weird things start to happen.

So in regard to Multirooming a YV and a Vision box together, keep your eye on it. And good luck.

Edit - Oh, and DO NOT try to access VOD content on both boxes at the same time, as that may cause both boxes to crash/have problems.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
flags
Contributor
Message 28 of 35

ohhhh boohoo ... experiment abandoned already, unfortunately.

6 recordings of "jeremy kyle" have appeared from nowhere in the list of recordings, not so much full programmes as fragments of shows we've recorded, watched and deleted (it was the only thing we had on series record).

I've switched the vision box off for the last time, will disconnect in the morning.
Tags (1)
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 35

@flags wrote:
ohhhh boohoo ... experiment abandoned already, unfortunately.

6 recordings of "jeremy kyle" have appeared from nowhere in the list of recordings, not so much full programmes as fragments of shows we've recorded, watched and deleted (it was the only thing we had on series record).

I've switched the vision box off for the last time, will disconnect in the morning.

flags - You can still use the two boxes.

Just make sure only one of them is ethernet connected at any one time, which would be mainly the Vision box for recording. Then you'll be OK.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 35

So I can stop using my YouView box and go back to using the BTVision box? Thank goodness...I have written to the mods on this question but had no reply. I really want to ditch the YouView box....

cheers
0 Ratings