cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

YouView box - can I keep it after 12 months?

Does anyone have the answer to this one:

If I subscribe to the new YouView service starting in a few weeks, will the box supplied by BT be mine after 12 months, or will I have to return it if I don't renew my subscription?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: YouView box - can I keep it after 12 months?

You should always check the terms and conditions in place at the time you take out your contract.

Cuurently the BTTariff Guide for Residential Customers (29th September) says:

3 The standard price for the Vision+ box is £199.00 and for the YouView box is £299. We may allow you to defer payment of some or all of this price for up to 12 months from the date that we accept your order. The amount you need to pay upfront depends on the Vision and Broadband commitment you choose, which set top box you choose and whether you are a new or an existing BT Vision customer.
The tables below show how much you will need to pay when you place your order. Any balance may be deferred for up to 12 months

4. Any part of the standard price for the set top box that we
allow you to defer, becomes payable either 12 months after
we accept your order or at the point that you end the BT Vision
service – whichever is the earlier. This deferred payment is the
full price that applied at the time we accepted your order, less
any amount which you paid upfront. If you keep your Vision
service for 12 months or more from the date that we accepted
your order, we will waive any deferred payment that you
would be liable to pay for the set top box.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Furthermore in the current T&Cs for BT Vision it says

Unless you cancel your agreement as set out in paragraphs 10 and 11 of the Residential Standard Terms, you will own the Set Top Box and any other equipment needed to use the service from the date you receive it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Also you may wish to take advantage of Humax warranty - I assume as BT are effectively selling you the box albeit on deferred terms you are entitled to take up their warranty extension 

You automatically have a one year warranty on your New Humax product.
To upgrade to a 2 year warranty absolutely free, please register within 30 days of purchase of your new Humax product.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/registration/Registrations.aspx

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

@zulu17 wrote:

Also you may wish to take advantage of Humax warranty - I assume as BT are effectively selling you the box albeit on deferred terms you are entitled to take up their warranty extension 

To upgrade to a 2 year warranty absolutely free, please register within 30 days of purchase of your new Humax product.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/registration/Registrations.aspx

We'll have to see if that's applicable to BT Youview customers. Often that's the sort of extra that gets dropped because BT will be buying bulk and getting a large discount. Also, BT hopefully will run the same scheme they currently do with the vbox, that if you're a subscriber then they'll replace a faulty vbox no matter how long you've had it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

zulu17 wrote: 

Not as generous as it might appear. EU legislation gives the right to a 2-year warranty whatever the manufacturer's guarantee says. Worth signing up though as it might avoid an argument.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings