Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

YouView box cannot connect to the internet

Go to solution

We just had a power cut and now after power has been restored our YouView box canot connect to the internet.

I have performed the following:

1. Rebooted  the router
  2. Rebooted the YouView box
  3. Connected the ethernet cable usually connected to the youview box to a laptop to confirm that the direct wired connection is working
  4. pinged the youview IP address from a laptop when the cable is pack in the youview box to test that it is visible on the home network
  5. Tested other wifi equipment at home for internet connection

It therefore appears that something is wrong with the youview box as internet is working up to the point of the connection to the youview box, and the youview box is visible on the local nextwork.  Please help

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Message 2 of 8

Re: YouView box cannot connect to the internet

Go to solution

Hi @Johne3112,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry you're having problems getting the YouView Box to connect to the internet. It sounds like it could be a fault with the YouView Box. 

Can you try factory resetting the Youview box to see if this helps? You can find the instructions here - How to factory reset my BT TV box?

Please give that a try and let me know how you get on?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, I've also now tried that and it gets stuck at the "connecting to internet" stage.  I've spoken to BT and they are sending out a replacement box. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @Johne3112,

Thank you for posting back. If the factory reset hasn't worked then I think it's safe to say the box is faulty.

I'm glad to hear a replacement is on the way. Please post back once you've received that and let us know if that has fixed the problem?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Quick update.  A new box arrived and initially I had exactly the same problem.  I eventually discovered that if I only had 1 ethernet cable plugged in to the home hub the youview box connected to the internet again and worked perfectly (I usually have 3, 1 to the youview box, and 2 to feed other networked devices via powerlines).  Once the youview box was connected to the internet I then plugged the other 2 ethernet cables back in to the home hub and everything seems to be working fine.

I can only surmise that for some reason the youview box couldn't initiate connection to the internet via the home hub if other devices were also connected!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Johne3112 

You must only ever have one powerline  adapter connected to the home hub, all others must be slaved off that single unit which is the master unit. As shown here.

powerline_correct.jpg

powerline_incorrect.jpg

Failure to do it correctly, will result in problems, as only one powerline network can operate over the mains. You also run the possibility of creating an Ethernet loop, which will lockout the home hub ports.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks.  Thats what I had.  1 going to the youview box, 1 to a powerline and 1 not plugged in to anything (it used to be plugged in to a DVD player).  Still with this configuration the youview box could be seen by other devices (pinging the IP from my laptop) and if I plugged the ethernet cable that went in to the youview box into my laptop instead I could get internet connection.  So the only thing that couldn't see the internet was the youview box (until I unplugged all other ports on the home hub).  Wierd  but once initial connection was established again I could plug everything else back in and all good.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

All I can think of was that the powerline adapter was interfering with the multicast packets which are intended to go to the YouView box, or the laptop itself was responding to them instead.

The home hub would be transmitting the multicast on every Ethernet port. I am not sure whether the is any "intelligence" within the home hub, to determine where it should be routed.

0 Ratings