Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawson001
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

YouView box from BT WITHOUT infinity - BT Sport

Hi All,

I'm looking for people with a BT Youview Box, but without infinity to see if BTSport is working?

I know it says on the website that you need Infinity, but I can get 6mbs and can stream HD iplayer easily. So I'm wondering if they limit the YouView box, or require you to activate something before you can get access to the streams? Or Does bt sport require a higher bandwidth? 

If I can ask for only the people in this situation to reply, or people with actual knowledge, not just re-hashed from the bt website, that would keep the topic on track. 

I have looked on the forum for answers, but no one seems to have had done any real testing.

Thanks in advance, 

Dawson

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: YouView box from BT WITHOUT infinity - BT Sport

It's not just the speed that effects IPTV channels, the exchange has to be multi-cast enabled and as I understand that is done when they are upgraded to fibre hence the need for Ifinity.

0 Ratings
dawson001
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Great, thanks for that. So BT sport on YouView is only delivered via multi-casting?

Has any tried it over ADSL2+ or does the channel not appear at all?
0 Ratings
kevinbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I've been on the phone to BT today, and they told me they are aware of the problem with misinformation being communicated to customers.

The Youview box definitely CANNOT receive BT Sport, as it has no way to unscramble the encrypted broadcast. They are sending me out a Vision+ box with a viewing card, which I will receive in five working days.

This is a disappointment, as the Youview box is better hardware, but the biggest frustration is being told it would work, not by one, but by two members of staff on different occasions.

0 Ratings
Empop
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Yes, on BT ADSL you have to have the Vision+ box to get BT sport.

but

Youview CAN 100% receive BT SPORT but ONLY if you are on Infinity as well as your exchange being multi cast enabled.

.... and yes, I agree, Youview is the better hardware IMO.

0 Ratings
oay
Message 6 of 8

@kevinbrighton wrote:

<snip>They are sending me out a Vision+ box with a viewing card, which I will receive in five working days.</snip>

May I ask how much they charged you for this? I may be wrong, but I think I've heard that a viewing card costs £10, but what about the Vision+ box itself? Are they just giving you that for free?

0 Ratings
kevinbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Sorry, I meant in can't receive BT Sport via DTT.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
kevinbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

It should cost £49, but they waived the fee. You have to send the Youview box back, but it's free postage.
They also said they're sending the viewing card out, and didn't mention a charge, so hopefully they've waived the £10 charge for that too.
0 Ratings