cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
servicefailure
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

YouView box "not fit for purpose"

I thought it was just me when I found that the YouView Humax box was difficult to control with the remote - desperately trying to stop it FFWDing or asking it to rewind a bit.

But then it gradually became more unresponsive and started stopping and starting when playing back recordings so the picture would freeze, then go dark, then carry on again, or a recording would splutter and miss a few seconds, or the program guide would take longer and longer to load, and the prog info would also take ages, and a reboot would make a short respite before it continued its decline to the abyss.

Clearly there are serious memory issues and software problems, let alone hardware limitations.

Yes ive read the forums and done the reload software and save recordings, but it was already on the latest firmware. And of course you have to then re schedule all your planned recordings - they forget to tell you that.

The forums on the TalkTalk site are also full of complaints and similar problems with the same box. The box is totally unfit for purpose and summarises BT's shoddy and half hearted attempts to bring products to market and in service.

Please can somebody from BT tell me what is going on with these YouView boxes and what BT is going to do to put them right, and when it is going to happen.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: YouView box "not fit for purpose"

Hi Servicefailure,

It sounds like you have had a frustrating time with your YouView service. I would like to take a look at this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
servicefailure
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Done - ref: *****-*****

0 Ratings
Highlighted
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

@servicefailure wrote:

I thought it was just me when I found that the YouView Humax box was difficult to control with the remote - desperately trying to stop it FFWDing or asking it to rewind a bit.

But then it gradually became more unresponsive and started stopping and starting when playing back recordings so the picture would freeze, then go dark, then carry on again, or a recording would splutter and miss a few seconds, or the program guide would take longer and longer to load, and the prog info would also take ages, and a reboot would make a short respite before it continued its decline to the abyss.

Clearly there are serious memory issues and software problems, let alone hardware limitations.

Yes ive read the forums and done the reload software and save recordings, but it was already on the latest firmware. And of course you have to then re schedule all your planned recordings - they forget to tell you that.

The forums on the TalkTalk site are also full of complaints and similar problems with the same box. The box is totally unfit for purpose and summarises BT's shoddy and half hearted attempts to bring products to market and in service.

Please can somebody from BT tell me what is going on with these YouView boxes and what BT is going to do to put them right, and when it is going to happen.

Mine works with no problems, so it is not 'unfit for purpose'. If you look at a support forum, of course you will find people with problems. Whilst the Talk Talk box is a YouView box, it is completely different piece of hardware. The problems that those boxes have can be different to the ones that BT have, so it is not a good comparison.

servicefailure
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Of course its not fit for purpose, otherwise all these other people wouldnt be having the same problems.

Yours works with no problems - good for you!

Of course you will find problems on a support forum - Its the volume of repeated problems on a support forum that count.

The problems the talktalk boxes have CAN be different, but CAN be the same.

Please try and be constructive if you are going to post all over these forums.

0 Ratings
servicefailure
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

ive been asked to:

"If you haven’t already done so can you try a factory reset by clicking on the YouView button and then Scroll to Settings and press select. From the menu select Device Management, then scroll to Reset YouView Box and click select. You should now see a Reset Warning box, simply click on Reset. Once the reset process has begun you'll see the screen below. The reset process will take approximately 4-5 minutes to complete."

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

@servicefailure wrote:

Of course its not fit for purpose, otherwise all these other people wouldnt be having the same problems.

Yours works with no problems - good for you!

Of course you will find problems on a support forum - Its the volume of repeated problems on a support forum that count.

The problems the talktalk boxes have CAN be different, but CAN be the same.

Please try and be constructive if you are going to post all over these forums.

It is not particularly constructive to come onto a forum and make a broad sweeping statement that a device is not fit for purpose. It is not working for you and that is bad and very annoying for you. Yes there are people on the forum who have problems but there are 100's of thousands of YouView boxes out there and possibly a couple of 100 people with problems on the forum. It is not unfit for purpose.

When I said my box has no problems, it was not to be smug, it was to set some kind of perspective. Just because you and a few other people have problems does not mean that EVERYBODY has problems.

I did not say that the Talk Talk boxes could not have the same problems. But, did you know that the Talk Talk box is made by Huawei and the YouView box is made by Humax? That is why it is not a good comparison. It is like saying the Sony forum has loads of people talking about problems with their TVs as does the LG site. This means that all TVs are unfit for purpose. They are completely different boxes with their own issues.....and a few similarities as well.

People often come to a forum before purchasing a device, so that can get an idea about it. If someone saw your post out of context, they may assume the YouView box is rubbish and does not work and that is, frankly, not true. People have problems with devices all the time, but many are very happy. My post was intended to create a balanced view of the box, so that people knew this was not the norm.

I am sorry you have problems with your box and I hope you get them sorted soon, but my post was intended to be constructive, maybe not to you, but to other people reading it. My YouView box is the best PVR I have owned and it has no problems at all. I hope when things are sorted for you, you will feel the same way.

psy-uk
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

I had/have exactly the same issue with BT Vision box.

Same underlying OS I suppose.

I did the full factory reset (losing recordings of the family on TV in the process).

It was better for about a fortnight but is now up to its same old unresponsive nonsense.

These issues all arrived with the OS update last year when they got rid of thw WinCE5 interface for a more graphical version.

The BT/YouView box is clearly not up to spec to handle whatever memory leaks and other bugs this UI has.

Some people don't have these issues so I am about to ask BT for a new box or I'll be immediately cancelling my contract as it isn't fit for use and going to the dark side (Sky).

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

Hi. Do you have a BT Vision box or a Youview box?
0 Ratings
servicefailure
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

The YouView box is rubbish, it doesnt work properly, it is badly designed and poorly implemented.

I am still in discussion with BT about the issues. I do not enter into a contract and then receive hardware that is unfit for purpose, casuses continual problems and means that I have to lose the content every time it needs resetting.

BT management are monitoring these forums - and probably have their people replying to them as well. They are well aware that these boxes are totally inadequate.

0 Ratings