Did you mean: 
Highlighted
infaddict
Beginner
Message 1 of 34

YouView box via Ethernet switch

Go to solution

Hi,

First time caller so go easy on me.  Oh and thanks in advance for any advice given 😉

I've traditionally had my YouView box hardwired with a cable from my BT router.  My Amazon Fire TV box and other devices then use WiFi.  I wanted to split my hardwired connection to share between Amazon Fire etc to improve bandwidth and quality.

I purchased a "NETGEAR GS205-100UKS 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch and this works great for Amazon Fire, Now TV and other devices with a simple plug and play.  However it is not working at all for my BT YouView box.

When I connect the YouView box to the switch I see zero flashing lights and it looks like no traffic at all is being communicated.  The box then fails to find a connection to the internet.  I've had a look around the settings and can't see anything obvious.  Google has found mention of multicast and using other routers but nothing that is helping me with this switch.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
ChrisB
Expert
Message 2 of 34

Re: YouView box via Ethernet switch

Go to solution

I've run my BT YouView box via a NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch for a couple of years with no issues. It was just plug and play. The switch is connected directly to my homehub via a 30m ethernet cable. The switch is behind the TV and also connects a WiFi Access point, the TV, a blu-ray player, a home server as well as the BT YouView box.

So there shouldn't be a problem.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

Same as ChrisB using both my current 8 port switch and an older 5 port switch, both Netgear though my switch does not have wi-fi.

Have you tried swapping the connection with a lead and switch port that are known to work with one of the other devices and see if the problem stays with the Youview box or moves to the other device?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

You may need to use a managed network switch that can snoop the multicast packets and direct them to the YouView box, and also stop them being directed to the othe devices.

The NETGEAR GS105E-200UKS ProSAFE 5 Port Web Managed (Plus) Gigabit Ethernet Switch

There is no configuation needed.

Similar thread here https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Sport-4K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/m-p/1...

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

This shouldn't be necessary my unmanaged Netgear switch works fine. I have had to adjust my WiFi Access Point to prevent the BT TV multicast from "flooding" other devices using WiFi. Notably enabling IGMP snooping on the AP.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

Its the "Amazon Fire, Now TV and other devices " connected to the unmanaged switch that would be the problem, more likely the NowTV box, as mentioned in the other thread.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution

Just to add I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick that the TV accesses via the AP connected to the unmanaged switch without any problem. A 5 port Netgear unmanaged switch is £14 at Amazon and the managed is £25; it seems to me to be an unnecessary expense to upgrade.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 34

Go to solution
Have you tried swapping out leads and devices yet?
0 Ratings
infaddict
Beginner
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses so far.  Still at work so can't try some of the suggestions yet but will do so tonight and post the results back here.

I'm pretty sure I tried multiple cables across multiple devices with no luck.  Also pretty sure I just tried the YouView box alone into the switch with no other devices and it still didn't work.  I will redo all of this later and let you know.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution

If you remove the switch and it wortks, then its the switch causing the problem, which I why I recommended a managed switch which has solved the problem for others. If you buy one, and it does not fix the problem, then you should be able to return it if you keep the packaging intact.

The other option would be to run a separate Ethernet cable to the YouView box, and let the home hub sort out it out.

0 Ratings