Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
whand
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

YouView+ surround sound not working

I have just had a YouView+ STB installed as part of the BT TV service, but I'm struggling to get the surround sound working.

I have an older integrated AV receiver and surround system which takes an S/PDIF input from the YouView+ STB. I've changed the S/PDIF audio mode in the YouView settings page to "Surround", but I'm not yet receiving surround sound.

When on an ordinary broadcast (no "[SS]") the receiver encoding changes to Dolby Pro Logic II as expected, but when I then change to a broadcast that has surround sound the receiver encoding changes to Dolby Digital but I receive no audio.

Could there be something I am missing with this configuration? Has anyone else had the same issue?

I was previously a Sky+ HD customer and that used Dolby Digital on many of its broadcasts, which operated perfectly with the receiver. However, I'm aware that BT TV uses Dolby Digital Plus as opposed to Dolby Digital. From what I understand, Dolby Digital Plus on formats like Blu-Ray is essentially a core Dolby Digital signal with the Plus enhancement as an add on, meaning older receivers can decode the original Dolby Digital signal, while newer ones can take advantage of the enhanced Plus format. Some posts mention that broadcasts may be encoded as Dolby Digital Plus in one stream, which I would then assume would be incompatible with my older receiver which was designed before Dolby Digital Plus was around?

Could this explain why the receiver recognises the Dolby Digital Plus signal but can't decode it?

Any advice or discussion much appreciated! Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: YouView+ surround sound not working

My ancient Denon AV amp decodes digital surround over S/PDIF from my Youview box just fine whether from a DTT channel or an internet channel.

Can you tell us a specific channel and programme that it is not working for you so we can try that?

As a workaround you could also connect analogue audio out from the TV to the amp as a failback while you figure out the digital audio issue.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

My amp is over 10 years old and has no problem with DD surround from my Youview box. I think you are barking up the wrong tree! Of course there isn't that much content broadcast with DD sound.
0 Ratings
whand
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Okay interesting that you're not having an issues, that gives me some hope!

I have struggled to find any Dolby Digital content to test it with, but last night I tested using The Women in Black on Channel 4 HD and also Quartet on BBC Two HD (I think). Both had the prized "[SS]" and changed my amplfier to Dolby Digital but neither delivered any audio. So I've only tested with Freeview HD so far.

I hear that the BT Player films have Dolby Digital too, but I'm loath to pay and try if its not going to work.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

If you are relying on SS in the EPG then that is less to be trusted than an old British Rail timetable. Try Jools Holland on BBC2 HD.
0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 6 of 11

BBC3 is 5.1 from 9pm to 11.15pm tonight  -  nothing on any BBC channel before them

What streaming HD channels do you subscribe to?

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited with BT Max TV package (inc. UHD).
0 Ratings
whand
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

We have the Entertainment Plus pack and the HD channels, so quite a few additional ones. Any suggestions on channels to try out of those?

I'll try Jools Holland and see what that delivers.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

My sony amp is 10 years old and works fine. It is interesting that you say the reciever is recognising the DD signal but playing nothing.

I have found there is getting more and more proper 5.1 encoded stuff but it is still a bit sparse. I find some of the internet HD channels do quite a lot (try MTV HD).

There are not many options on the YouView box, you have said you have changed to surround in the settings, does your amp have a hdmi input that you could just test it with. I don't see any reason why your amp shouldn't work but the amps tend to have many more settings than the YouView box so I would be looking through my amp settings first...I would also go with a hard re-boot of everything just to start with before testing.

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Try MTV HD nearly all programmes are in 5.1
0 Ratings
stever123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Hi

I have just had Youview installed and am having the same problem...  set to surround via toslink, but Denon amp only receiving stero (on SS broadcasts on HD channels and Netflix app with confirmed 5.1 sound)

Did anyone solve this?

Thanks

0 Ratings