cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 8

YouView upscaling vs Panasonic upscaling

I've read online that the Panasonic CX680 isn't very good at upscaling standard definition pictures via the built-in tuner to its 4K Panel.

Does anybody have experience of this TV with YouView - either the standard 1080 box or the Ultra HD box - and how it upscales standard definition when connected to YouView?

I know it looks good with an HD or 4K signal.

thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
DPinnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: YouView upscaling vs Panasonic upscaling

from what i understand

You can either let the YV box do the upscaling or the TV - YV box will overide up to its maximum output. this is because a TV will always show a progressgive image

so if you set YV 1080i your TV will handle the last part of processing to progressive

if you set YV to 1080p your TV will just display what YV has processed

I've simplified a bit but thats the gist of it

moving to 4k however is a bit different and doesn't detail in the options P or I so assume P

hope that helps

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@DPinnock wrote:

from what i understand

You can either let the YV box do the upscaling or the TV - YV box will overide up to its maximum output. this is because a TV will always show a progressgive image

so if you set YV 1080i your TV will handle the last part of processing to progressive

if you set YV to 1080p your TV will just display what YV has processed

I've simplified a bit but thats the gist of it

moving to 4k however is a bit different and doesn't detail in the options P or I so assume P

hope that helps

Indeed. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this particular model Panasonic and if it can make SD look better via YouView than via its own tuner.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Doesnt matter how you set the youview box it will always process the signal
Set to 1080p will deinterlace both SD and HD and then upscale SD
Set to 1080i will leave HD intact deinterlace SD upscale and reinterlace
Generally TVs are better at deinterlacing scaling is not that different looks like your TV is not as good at deinterlacing??
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@Interceptor121 wrote:
Doesnt matter how you set the youview box it will always process the signal
Set to 1080p will deinterlace both SD and HD and then upscale SD
Set to 1080i will leave HD intact deinterlace SD upscale and reinterlace
Generally TVs are better at deinterlacing scaling is not that different looks like your TV is not as good at deinterlacing??

I don't own this TV but was asked about it by some friends who watch a fair bit of standard definition and had read that this TV wasn't so great with that. I would assume most 4K TVs aren't going to be great at that as they can't work miracles turning 576i  into 2160p. Ideally they would be better with a Full HD set but these are being increasingly superseded by Ultra HD sets in retailers. I suppose as long as they sit a decent distance away this would help to hide the noise in the lower quality freeview channels...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

There is no difference in what you see at a certain distance if the stream os SD or HD. Upscaling just scales there is no more information there that you can see. The reason why you see the difference is because now your tv shows you 4K and when you watch standard definition it looks bad as you have a large tv. I have had the same situation with HD i effectively dont watch any SD channel unless inhave to. Sometimes i watch film4 and i just have to accept it is poor. The reason why SD looks better on some tv sets is due tonthe quality of deinterlacing of the tv set compared to the external pvr. If you watch standard definition all the times just get a smaller tv!
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

I always set my source devices to send native format and let the TV take care of any upscaling needed on the basis that the TV knows best what works best for itself.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

The youview box doesnt offer a passthrough option sadly
0 Ratings