cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Almacd
Message 1 of 33

Youview 10m Ethernet Cable

Does anybody know whether the cable supplied with the Youview box is Cat 5, Cat 5e or even Cat6 ? There is no marking on the cable and before I enclose it in conduit etc. want to try and make sure I am using satisfactory cable. Providers will often not send out the best cable. Many thanks

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Youview 10m Ethernet Cable

Not sure but I would suspect it is Cat5e. I don't think BT would go to the expense of Cat6 and Cat5 is not widely used now.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 33

Can't you run it loose to see how it goes? If it's OK now it's unlikely to give up once you've properly installed it.

If you really feel the need to make sure, a new 10m Cat6cable is a fiver or less delivered from Amazon.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 33

No idea what cable they supply. What I do know is that three times I was promised an engineer to install it and three times nothing happened, including a promised call back. Sadly pretty typical I fear. I am not capable of installing it due to disability. Sorry saw this thread felt a need to moan. 🙂

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 33

The one I received with the Youview box - has the supplier (Gfiglobal)  label stuck on  - from their website the item is described as

Our 10 metre flat SFTP cable can be used to connect all the hardware devices in a Local Area Network (LAN).

This 2 pair RJ45 Cat5e patch cable is perfect for use with 10/100 Base -T networks, also it can be easily hidden under carpets and around decor.

Connect your IT hardware to the network and offer reliable, practical, 10/100 Ethernet performance. This particular cable is shielded.

Our 10/100 Ethernet cable has been designed for BT TV (BT Vision), This Ethernet cable is included in BT Vision home install kits. 

• Supports 10/100 Ethernet
  • Shielded cable

I'm can't comment on its performance as I'm using my existing longer cables.

taylor42
Message 6 of 33

Cable that was supplied by BT was to short, purchased a longer CAT 5E cable and it works just fine.

0 Ratings
ScottSilver
Contributor
Message 7 of 33

I believe this to be a cat5e Almacd.

0 Ratings
nick-crate
Message 8 of 33

hi there can anyone help me, my 10m ethernet provided with my youveiw box was to short so i purchased a reel of cat5e cable and standard plastic rj45 connectors i crimped these connectores on the cable using the 10m cables colour code to alocate the wires in the connector but  when i plugged it into my router and you veiw box it says thers no internet connection, i dont know what ive done wrong the only thing that is differant is the cable provided by bt has metal sheilding on the rj45 connectors and mine are standered plastic, if i get metal shielded connecters and crimp them on my cat 5e cable will that allow it to work or am i missing something important.

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Nick

0 Ratings
tullyhubbert
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 33

@nick-crate wrote:

hi there can anyone help me, my 10m ethernet provided with my youveiw box was to short so i purchased a reel of cat5e cable and standard plastic rj45 connectors i crimped these connectores on the cable using the 10m cables colour code to alocate the wires in the connector but  when i plugged it into my router and you veiw box it says thers no internet connection, i dont know what ive done wrong the only thing that is differant is the cable provided by bt has metal sheilding on the rj45 connectors and mine are standered plastic, if i get metal shielded connecters and crimp them on my cat 5e cable will that allow it to work or am i missing something important.

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Nick

The pin outs on RJ45s are a bit strange, the two centre pairs kinda cross over. Google RJ45 pinouts if you're not sure.

Speaking from experience here. I'm using a 25m cable I made up myself and I got the connections wrong first time.

TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 33

Hi

The reality is that it doesn't matter which colour wire goes into which pin of the plug as long as the pattern is the same both ends!

They are very fiddly and it makes sense to invest in the proper crimp tool as that makes life a lot easier.

You can by a simple tester which tells you which one of the wires isn't connected. If you have an IT dept at work they will probably have one and may lend it to you.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim