cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 33

Re: Youview 10m Ethernet Cable

I agree, the crimping does not always work, an alternative way is to plug one of the terminated plug ends in to either the hub or the Youview box and cut off the other plug ,run the cable, then terminate it in a female cat 5 plate(they use push in IDC connections, usually very reliable and easy use) then for the final part  use a cat 5 jumper lead(male to male).

This way also gives you the possibility of extending the cable run, if necessary.

nick-crate
Message 12 of 33

hello again

ive followed the wiring colours from the bt cable supplied  pin 1 red stripe pin 2 red pin 3 blue stripe pin 4 blank pin 5  blank pin 6 blue pin 7 blank pin 8 blank and then did the exact same on the other ends but  i it stil doesnt work i know the cable is fine because i originally put two normal rj45s on each end and connected it up to my laptop. just cant seem to get the youveiw box to connect to the internet and dont know why.

All my cables were made using the crimping tool. the only thing that is differant is the metal shielding on the rj45 connectors supplied on the 10m ethernet cable.

Thanks for all your help

Nick

0 Ratings
Spud
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 33

There is a nice guide here: https://mcb.berkeley.edu/labs/krantz/pdf/guide_to_crimping_cat5_cat6_connectors.pdf

Usual credit to the third party etc etc.

0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 14 of 33

"Our 10 metre flat SFTP cable can be used to connect all the hardware devices in a Local Area Network (LAN).

This 2 pair RJ45 Cat5e patch cable is perfect for use with 10/100 Base -T networks, also it can be easily hidden under carpets and around decor.

Connect your IT hardware to the network and offer reliable, practical, 10/100 Ethernet performance. This particular cable is shielded.

Our 10/100 Ethernet cable has been designed for BT TV (BT Vision), This Ethernet cable is included in BT Vision home install kits. 

• Supports 10/100 Ethernet
  • Shielded cable'"

Does that explain why that ethernet connection only shows as 100mb/s on my bt home 5?  Is it worth upgrading the cable or not? Speeds seem ok but I am always to keen to squeeze a bit more out!

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 33

The ethernet port on the YV box is only 100mb hence why it shows as 100mb on the Hub. What line speed do you have? you will only need a better cable, a decent Cat 5e can handle Gigabit, if the box had a faster port and your line speed is the 300mb fttp service so the throughput increases.
0 Ratings
graystreet
Contributor
Message 16 of 33

AFAIK the Youview box only has a 100Mbps ethernet connector on it so upgrading the cable to a fully wired 1Gbps cable won't make any difference at all. Even if you put a 1 Gbps cable into it it'll still show as 100 Mbps on your HH5.

Also your Broadband is only around 78 Mbps at best which is well within the capabilities of a 100Mbps network connection.

Edit:  skappy70 beat me to it 🙂

0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 17 of 33

Interesting. I don't plug the cable directly into my youview box. I plug the long Ethernet cable from the hh5 into an apple time capsule (1gb/s) connection and take three Ethernet connections from that. That is why I was hoping for better than 100mb/s. I have 2 other short Ethernet connections (cat 5e) from the hh, one to an apple AirPort Extreme and another to a powerline device. Both of those connections show up as '1gb/s' on the home network.

thanks btw...I am only on infinity 2.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 33

BT claim it's Cat5e but I think not as in the past mine has only connected devices at 100mbps, probably down to the fact that there's only 4 of the 8 wires connected.

0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 19 of 33

Thanks. I have swapped cables around and it always comes up 100mb/s whether youview is at the end of it or not! I have ordered a cat6 cable - just to prove a point as much as anything. I realise it isn't going to make a great deal of difference with 78mb/s theoretical maximum download speed 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 33

I was under the impression that 100Mbps ethernet uses one pair of wires and Gigabit uses two pairs. Cat5e supports Gigabit as long as it has two pairs correctly connected and the devices/ports at either end support Gigabit.

I thought the G4 BT Youview box was a 100Mbps only device whereas the newer G5 BT Youview UHD box was actually a Gigabit device? Obviously though with current TV streams that use well below 80Mbps it won't make any difference anyway.
0 Ratings