cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 33

Re: Youview 10m Ethernet Cable

Or is it 4 pairs for Gigabit as suggested earlier? I thought only cat6 normally had 4 pairs as standard, though I believe you can get different types of cat5/5e with more or fewer pairs.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 33

I think Tim was correct that 100Mbps uses 4 wires (2 pairs) and Gigabit 8 wires (4 pairs).

I suspect that cat5/5e can be of a type that supports up to 100BASE-T or 1000BASE-T depending on the number of pairs?
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 33

I've just found a Cat5e cable with 8 wires (4 pairs) connected, so it looks like Cat5 is 4 wires & Cat5e/6 are 8 wires.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 33

I think cat5 does in theory support Gigabit as well. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
Well assuming it has all 4 pairs. 🙂

The flat type such as provided with the Youview box may only have 2 pairs to save space and hence only support up to 100Mbps.

Anyway, all a bit academic if the G4 box port only has the electronics for 100Mbps. Can anyone confirm that is the case?
0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 25 of 33

Just to let you know - I plugged in a 5m cat 6 cable and it comes up as 1gb/s whatever I plug the other end into. Cat 5/5e cables do. seem to give 1gb/s provided they are short 1m jobs.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 33

@voles wrote:
Just to let you know - I plugged in a 5m cat 6 cable and it comes up as 1gb/s whatever I plug the other end into. Cat 5/5e cables do. seem to give 1gb/s provided they are short 1m jobs.

What version of HomeHub do you have?

It may just be showing that it is plugged into the Gigabit capable port (the one labelled GigE) rather than showing that a Gigabit connection has actually been established with a Gigabit capable device.

See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32322/~/what-does-the-gige-port-do-on-my-bt-home-hub%...

Cat5/5e supports distances up to 100m. For any decent quality cable following the standards whether 5m or 1m should be of no significance. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 33

Note that the help page seems a bit misleading when talking about Gigabit allowing you to make use of Infinity speeds. That should only apply to those on Infinity 3 or 4 which give broadband connection speeds greater than 100Mbps.

0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 28 of 33

'What version of HomeHub do you have?
It may just be showing that it is plugged into the Gigabit capable port (the one labelled GigE) rather than showing that a Gigabit connection has actually been established with a Gigabit capable device.'

BT home hub 5. All I know is that if I use the supplied 10m cable, the 'home network' shows 100mb/s on that port and if I use a cat6 5m cable (or indeed a 1m cat5/5e patch cable) it shows as 1gb/s. What it is plugged into seems to be immaterial. It might make no difference to actual performance of course...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 33

As has already been mentioned, it's probably not the cable length but whether it has all eight wires that is the difference. Gigabit can't work over just four wires.

Maybe all the devices you tried with an 8 wire cable are in fact Gigabit devices? Here is some info about the Z4 mini Youview box.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Gigabit-Port/td-p/1528005

Does the ethernet port on the Youview box have the GigE label?
0 Ratings
voles
Contributor
Message 30 of 33

Yv port just labelled 'Ethernet' but I was wrong earlier about the receiving connection. This is the run down.

BT cable into apple time capsule or yv - 100mb/s
Cat 6 or any other cable I've tried into Apple TC- 1gb/s
Cat6 into yv - 100mb/s

So there are two variables, but basically don't use the BT cable unless it is a direct connection and your broadband speed is not higher than 100mb/s. I use the TC to split the internet between three devices including the yv box, so I will carry on with the cat6.

0 Ratings