cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 161 of 328

Re: Retune loss of channels

@SeanD  Many thanks for the update Sean.  Can I just check if you are in a position to advise what the trigger event is if you have been able to reproduce the issue?

There is clearly something than happens on a Monday morning (for us on Emley Moor), and possibly one other day from the experiences last week.  If we know what that event is and when for certain it occurs, it might help those with recordings scheduled to take steps to avoid the recordings being missed whilst work continues towards any fix. 

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 162 of 328

Hi @Yorkshire_Midge,

Sorry for the delay in confirming.  I have spoken with the guys running the investigation and they have shared some extra info with me.

We have strong correlation that channel moves being made by Digital UK are causing the channel map on the TV box to lose channels until a rescan is performed.  All recent reported issues have come on the day of/after a reported change and looking backwards we see correlation back to June at least.

This is not suggesting DUK have caused the issue, just triggered a logic bomb in the STB.

This kind of stuff happens frequently in the network but the impact of these changes on the boxes in the Emley Moor reception area, appears to be due to a particular topology and the correlation of strong signals from several transmitters (Emley, Belmont, Bilsdale and Idle) that the box is struggling to manage in its LCN selection logic.

Further changes are happening this week that we expect to trigger repeated loss:

• 11th: Simulcast channel 'Film 4+1' removal
  • 14th: Channel 'E4+1' mux move

I will share more information as I get it but thank you again for your continued patience.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 163 of 328

I too have been losing HD channels from Emley Moor transmitter , it does not seem to be a weekly occurrence . It has been happening for about 2 years & seems to affect CH 101 to 105 . This has resulted in us receiving another Youview box last week & needing to retune this box again yesterday . I did comment to my wife on Saturday evening that the programme we were watching at that time did not seem to be HD quality . The guide did suggest that it was HD , I was not convinced  . I am wondering if the box had lost HD channels , tuned to the SD channels but without affecting what was seen on the guide until a power-off , at which the guide reflected channels lost .

There may be other channels being lost but the stated 5 are the ones we use quite a lot , I do not check for others .

Tv signals are 95 - 93 % with 100 % Quality .

We have an engineer visit booked for tomorrow 12 - 2 as probably , we do not have a fault with this new box , unless it is a generic " feature " .

I will report any findings ASAP .

Andrew .

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 164 of 328

@SeanD  Thanks for the info - it all starts to make sense now.  I take it the guys looking into this are aware of the sprinkling of reports in the thread for other transmitters? Seems likely from what is being described that there will be pockets where the same sort of combination of factors occurs. 

From a quick look through, I noted one person in South Derbyshire, one on Hannington transmitter in Hampshire, two on Oxford, and one on Waltham in Leicestershire.  

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 165 of 328

Good morning @Yorkshire_Midge,

Yes the TV guys are aware of reports from customers that are not being served by Emley Moor.  The information being shared here between all you guys is super helpful and we are keeping a close eye on it 😉

From my uneducated view I guess that its possible the same issue can arise in other areas but that Emley Moor is particularly affected due in part to the number of transmitters.  Although I emphasize that am no expert, I am learning every day from reading the comments here.  Thankfully the team investigating know what they are talking about

Cheers

Sean 

0 Ratings
crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 166 of 328

According to the engineer who visited today , the problem is associated with broadband . All HD channels are via broadband with the Youview STB . 

The visit was partly investigation of the main drop line into the house , suggestion that the Youview box is not defective & then replacement of the HH5 hub with more up to date HH6 . Speedtest on this is very good @ 60+ Mb Download .

It is again " wait & see " . What I can see is that the fault tracker is saying that I have told BT that the fault is resolved . That is not the case however I did scrawl something on a data logger which was only an acknowledgment of the visit . 

It is still wait & see & I realise that the mean time to repair this is quite impressive , even if the problem persists it will be identified as a new problem .

Andrew .

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 167 of 328

Hi crossword,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion that might have been caused by the engineer that visited. The only HD channels that are delivered via the broadband are the BTTV Extra channels (Discovery HD, Crime + Investigation HD, BT Sport etc). The likes of BBC HD channels are delivered via Freeview.

Hope this helps.

Matt

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 168 of 328

With reference to the BT update on Tuesday where the next event to trigger the problem was going to be today, I've just checked my box and it has now occurred - so just a quick reminder to retune.

crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 169 of 328

Thanks Matt , less than 24 hours on & 101 to 105 still present . Just unplugged aerial from the Youview whilst watching one of the HD channels , programme stops , guide still has those channels . So your comment is helpful .Andrew .
0 Ratings
NickLz
Regular
Message 170 of 328

Hi. We’ve only recently joined BT and are having the same problem- in West Dorset (so I assume Emley Moor not applicable!)

Thought you should know in case that helps with the diagnosis. 

0 Ratings