cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 171 of 328

Re: Retune loss of channels

You know what? I reckon this is one of the reasons a Youview box takes so long to turn on from deep sleep mode. I suspect it is checking that there have been no MUX changes since last the last time it was used even for adjacent transmitters which you have told it not to use. For example, I have told it to tune to Oxford but my box is also able to detect Sandy Heath.

If I am right then all they have to do is ditch that check.
0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 172 of 328

@gomezz dunno about the deep sleep thing as the trigger event is obviously under the control of the broadcaster, not the box. 

Part of the problem here seems to be auto tuners on devices in general.  On both TVs and the YouView box, we select preferred area after tuning which you would assume is telling the device which transmitter to use.  It's now clear that both our TVs and the YouView box are capable of making alternative  and unexpected decisions where they see fit.  This is probably normal behaviour where there is strong transmitter overlap - and we have just been unaware of it (unless we happen to notice we're receiving local news from elsewhere). 

It's a bit illogical that you should end up with a mux of channels from one transmitter, and a mux of channels from another on the SAME device - when the main muxes leave Emley Moor (in our case) at the same transmit power.  But there could be all sorts of factors at work in the tuners decision.  It's perhaps significant that SD tends to be from Emley Moor, but HD from the alternative transmitter - when HD is carry more information and is therefore more prone to data errors generally.   i.e. the tuner might be perfectly happy with SD, but decide that the HD signals are cleaner from the other transmitter, and strong enough to use. 

As for ignoring the change signal which is clearly triggering a problem in the YouView box and resulting in it deleting the channels from the second transmitter, that sounds feasible in theory as a temp workaround. But it might be so embedded in the code, it might be more pragmatic to throw all resource and effort at the permanent fix. At least you're only testing and rolling out one fix then. Just a thought.

0 Ratings
filb8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 173 of 328

@Yorkshire_Midge I am on the Emily Moore transmitter and periodically loose 39 channels from the 173 that I have after a fresh re-tune. I  will ad that I used to loose channels on my LG tv also, especially the HD channels, but in the programme tuning settings there is a programme list update feature , which tunes and saves updated programmes automatically. I have turned this feature off and I do not loose any channels but I get regular on screen notifications that my program mapping has changed and do I wish to update. I wonder if the BT box is doing something similar, just a thought.

0 Ratings
crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 174 of 328

All , my thoughts over the last few days , I have established to my satisfaction that HD programmes are from the aerial , however I am now wondering  if the EPG is loaded into the STB by wifi . The first thing that I see is HD channels disappearing from EPG which means that they cannot be selected . The subsequent retune restores both the channels & EPG . Apologies if this has been discussed before , I am new to the forum .

Currently no loss of channels since the new HH6 earlier this week .

Andrew .

0 Ratings
filb8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 175 of 328

@crossword Did you mean the  epg is loaded through the Ethernet cable as the Humax stb does not support WiFi. Also the epg will load without the stb being connected to the internet via the Ethernet cable. 

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 176 of 328

@filb8  I guess it's possible the same sort of thing was happening with your TV. Did a quick google and certainly found similar postings for LG TV loss of HD channels and the same fix you described doing. 

But ultimately, its difficult to say if it is precisely the same problem - unless of course, the setting is changed back as a test, and the LG TV starts throwing a wobbly the same time as the YouView box. 

0 Ratings
filb8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 177 of 328

@Yorkshire_Midge I will test it and report back the next time I loose channels on my stb or my tv, which ever happens first. 

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 178 of 328

@filb8  trouble is the YouView box doesn't have an equivalent setting to the one you have on your LG that I can see (ref. @gomezz comment about turning it off in the code), so if it is the same issue, it's probably BT who would be most interested in knowing that. 

Based on previous weeks, I'd expect the next event that triggers the issue might be tomorrow morning. 

0 Ratings
apintofmild
Aspiring Contributor
Message 179 of 328

I'm not even a BT customer but have registered to up to date with this thread. I have a Humax DTR-T1010 YouView PVR.

I'm also in Yorkshire, with Emley as my mast of choice, but also get the option of North East (I'd guess Billsdale?).

Over the past week or two (since the Oct 23rd MUX reshuffle?) I've had to retune every few days (I wish I'd kept a diary now to see if there is a pattern) as I keep losing HD channels -notably BBC. A rescan pulls them back every time, giving me the choice of Leeds or North East. I've tried both, and neither seems more stable than the other.

My (Samsung) TV (on the RF loop through of the PVR) seems able to retain the new channel line up without any difficulty.

It's frustrating as it will failed to record on any of the lost channels whilst they're down. There is the option of iPlayer etc, but I'm way behind on most of the things I'm interested in, and the catch up has often expired by the time I'm ready for it. I'm currently having to record HD and SD for safety.

I'll hold off replacing the PVR as it seems there's other affected, with different hardware, suggesting this is may be a YouView firmware type issue rather than a fault with my particular setup.

0 Ratings
crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 180 of 328

I am unsure how the EPG is loaded onto the STB , obviously it's aerial or Ethernet . ( think before writing note to self ) The test would be a rescan with Ethernet disconnected , check EPG then another rescan to restore subscription channels . I wont be doing that as I feel that I am already scanning too much because of the HD channel loss " feature "
Andrew .
0 Ratings