cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinBS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 191 of 328

Re: Youview Box T2100 - Keeps losing HD channels

I have now completely given up on the BT box and have reverted to the tuner built into my Sony TV. It is a Youview system too, so I will report back if I lose any channels (but I don't think I will lose any).

BT box is now used for BT sport only.

Scousertony73
Beginner
Message 192 of 328

Not able to use the record function if I use my tv for channels instead of my youview box. 

Really disappointing from BT this!

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 193 of 328

Re: Retune loss of channels

@davidb00  on other threads, some people have reported that an attenuator works, but I don't believe it will in my case with the signal levels being so close together. Have to be very lucky to attenuate the right signals. The better bet for me is trying to boost the Emley Moor signal level with a more directional aerial, so it looks better to the tuners than Bilsdale. With mine being in the loft, I could also put a physical block behind my aerial to try and kill the Bilsdale signal - though I might then find when I retune that my Emley Moor signal for the channels previously from Bilsdale might be too poor to use. Right now, it's not quite irritating me enough to do anything until I know what sort of timescales BT are working to.

@NickLz  what happens with the changes may vary by transmitter. All I can say is in the case of Emley Moor, it seems to be Monday morning (certainly over the last four weeks) and occasionally on other days of the week too where specific changes are being done by the broadcaster.

@filb8  that's a little surprising given  @apintofmild  saw the issue on Monday too. HOWEVER, you need to consider what was happening with the signal levels/error levels at the point you last did a retune on your YouView box. Let's say there were some poor atmospheric conditions at the time and your YouView box could have decided that it was happiest with all it's channels from Emley Moor, and the problem will suddenly disappear for you. Next time you do a retune for whatever reason, it might make a different decision, pick up some channels from the alternative transmitter again, and you will see the problem come back. 

That's the confusing thing about this issue. So much is down to each persons location, surrounding terrain, and aerial installation as to whether the fault is seen or not. 

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 194 of 328

Just to throw another (sub)factor into the mix: Is it just people like me who not only get offered tuning from two different transmitters but which on a manual retune offers the "wrong" transmitter first as the one to be chosen.
For example, I always get Sandy Heath offered first and I need to manually select Oxford.
If so, it suggests that the "logic bomb" previously referred to may be a hard-coded pointer to the top of the list of available transmitters ignoring that the user has chosen a different transmitter.
(just musing and thinking back to the days when I not only had to diagnose software problems from the symptoms of a closed black box but also had access to the dumps and source code)
0 Ratings
bry040
Contributor
Message 195 of 328

Yep, I have to select the second opinion too.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 196 of 328

@Yorkshire_Midge 

I noticed that several 800 channels have appeared, from the unwanted transmitter, signal strength 10% and quality 20%(must be picking them up on a side lobe) I put in a 3db attenuater, retuned, the unwanted 800 channels disappeared and it still works, fingers crossed.

As you have suggested, you have a bigger problem, you will need an aerial with a high front to back ratio and unfortunately no guarantee that it will work.

Hopefully the BT boffins will find a permanent solution soon.

0 Ratings
crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 197 of 328

All,

Yesterday I saw HD channel loss for the first time since our HH5 was replaced by a HH6 last Tuesday .

Apologies for the long winded nature of this but I am able to give some accurate timings which may help investigation .

Yesterday I set the STB to record Casualty 101 HD channel , whilst it was being recorded we decided to watch it , probably starting at 8.20 pm . Initially the picture appeared to be HD quality , at approx. 9.00 pm , it seemed to be of SD quality . The recording finished @ 9.18 11secs , the length of the recording was 1.00 H 56 secs . My watch is accurate as it is synch'd to a time signal in Cumbria & should compare well with the STB times .

The EPG still showed the usual channels 101 - 105 as has been seen before . Looking at the channels they did not seem to be HD to me .

At 9.27 pm I started instant recording of CH 105 Cold Call , this was when there were adverts showing , for Sambucol Peleton & Pandora , Cold call restarted @ 9.29 44 sec and did not appear to be HD quality . The recordings should still be on The STB .

I then tried to compare image quality on the HD channels with that of SD , it proved difficult because of the time taken for the channels to change & not being able to directly see the same part of the programme . 

At this & believing that 101 - 105 channels were not HD , I began a rescan at 10.05 pm , at the start , only 140 aerial channels were reported . At 10.10 59 secs having selected the usual Yorkshire programming on Emley Moor 153 Aerial channels were reported & the usual 101 - 105 were again in HD , I do not believe that they will remain . 

Comments will be welcome from BT people who use this board . The person who attended last week was Douglas , a Home Tech Expert .

Regards Andrew . 

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 198 of 328

@Yorkshire_Midge 

I have a possible alternative to changing your aerial, I think the box does not automatically scan for channels, if it does then this method will be of little use.

Tune the box to one of the unwanted channels (801, etc), check the signal strength, if it is lower than the proper channels, this might work.

Insert a variable attenuater between the downlead and the box, increase the attenuation until the unwanted channel signal aproaches zero.

Providing the proper channel signals are OK(blocky is OK), retune for  channels, check that the unwanted channels have disapeared and then remove the attenuater.

A couple of useful tips, I always use "F" type connectors where possible and  I use an app on my tablet /phone to align the loft aerial(difficult to see other aerials when you are in the loft).

0 Ratings
Wilson1961
Beginner
Message 199 of 328

Hi All,

I live near Emley Moor tower and am now having the same issue.

Some time it is just the HD channels then the other night it was nearly half the channels.

Did the piece of kit recommended work?

0 Ratings
Scousertony73
Beginner
Message 200 of 328

Happened again today - All HD channels gone again!!

Rang BT, got ill educated customer service who told me they have not heard of this issue before! 

God help us

0 Ratings