Recognised Expert
Message 241 of 328

Re: Youview Box T2100 - Keeps losing HD channels

0 Ratings
johnphaff
Beginner
Message 242 of 328

I am new to the forum,and have experienced the exact same problem.(Humax DTR 2100.)i.e.HD channels 101-105.My aerial is pointed to the Hannington transmitter,but also gets channels from Crystal Palace.Having read through the forum,the common link seems to be where there are competing transmitters.It is extremely frustrating to make recordings on any of these channels,and then to find they have not been recorded.Come on BT-sort it out.

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 243 of 328

@johnphaff  if you have a look at the posting Sean has just put up today, there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.  To save you reading a very long thread, it occurs where there is strong transmitter overlap and as a result, the YouView box tunes some channels from the expected transmitter, and some channels from an alternative.  This is to an extent normal/expected behaviour and will be happening on your TVs too -  but you probably don't realise it.  i.e. most people would assume that you get your channels from the transmitter your aerial is pointing to and/or the preferences you set after tuning - but RF signals don't always behave in the way you expect, and you can get perfectly strong and usable signals from the sides and back of your aerial. 

The trigger event (not the cause) is minor changes to Freeview that are periodically broadcast and then processed automatically by a Freeview device - but in our case, they cause the YouView box to throw a wobbly and delete the channels it tuned from the alternative transmitter, requiring a manual re-tune to bring them back.   There have been many such changes over recent weeks as you can see from this log https://www.rxtvlog.com/p/freeview-updates.html but there is evidently a change freeze over the festive season with the next event being 7th January by the look.   BT are evidently making progress on this so maybe we might even have a fix before the next event. 

0 Ratings
johnphaff
Beginner
Message 244 of 328

Many thanks for that.I strongly suspected that overlap had to be a potential factor.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 245 of 328

Heads up that people will need to start keeping a closer eye on their channels, EPG and recording schedules again from tomorrow as the holiday embargo on changes is lifted.
0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Aspiring Expert
Message 246 of 328

@gomezz  thanks for the reminder. I lost ARQA/ARQB/BBCB muxes today and have just retuned.  

https://www.rxtvlog.com/p/freeview-updates.html has a raft of changes scheduled for tomorrow too, so we may see the issue again after those. 

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 247 of 328

Yep. I suffered this afternoon too, curiously after successfully recording Father Brown. This seems to suggest it is doing some kind of channel check whenever the box goes back into standby after recording which I think is a crass think to do.

Simple workaround fix until they sort it properly is to totally disable automatic tuning.  Can we have that please?

0 Ratings
bry040
Contributor
Message 248 of 328

Back to the same again, happy new year. Total disgrace...

0 Ratings
NickLz
Regular
Message 249 of 328

Mine too yesterday. PITA

0 Ratings
crossword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 250 of 328

All ,

Be fair, the Freeview update ban over the holidays was not meant to fix this , it was to allow users good coverage over that period . For me it also demonstrated that the theory regarding updates was valid .

Did anyone seriously expect a full fix over a major holiday period ? 

I feel that the solution is near at hand now that BT & the authority responsible for Freeview updates are having talks together .

Regards Andrew .

0 Ratings