cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yorkshire_Midge
Contributor
Message 31 of 100

Re: Youview Box T2100 - Keeps losing HD channels

Pleased I've found this post - as I have the same problem on my YouView box and I'm also on Emley Moor.  I've literally just done a re-tune a few minutes ago for the umpteenth time in recent months.  The last re-tune I did was perhaps a week or so ago.  

I don't use the box a great deal so its difficult to say when I first noticed a problem - but within the last six months would be my best guess.  It can obviously go some days without a problem too. 

So it rather suggests to me that there might well be a link to the work currently going on, and perhaps even some short service interruptions/degradation.   But equally, you would expect the box to be tolerant of little glitches in transmission - and it very clearly isn't. 

@BT - I think there is a case for you taking this issue to your own product manager, and asking them to raise this formally with Humax .  As others have pointed out, SOMEONE in Humax knows the code and will be able to tell you precisely what circumstances will cause the channel to actually be removed, and whether it's feasible and sensible for Humax to tweak the code.  The three other Freeview HD tuners in my house get the same signal from the same place and don't suffer from this problem, so that means there is a case to be answered that cannot be blamed entirely on the Emley Moor works. 

0 Ratings
bry040
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 100

So I spent good money on an attenuator. STILL channels got deleted again today. Think I am more likely to get the scammers that keep pretending to be from BT to fix this, than real bt...

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Contributor
Message 33 of 100

bry040 - your post prompted me to check mine, and sure enough, they had disappeared again. Time for another retune........

0 Ratings
bry040
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 100

Thanks, wondered if would happen to others at same time. My working theory is that BT send some sort of update out over the network, that blats them.. or the box handles something badly that changes in the transmission. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a config file somewhere in BT for Emely Moor that keeps getting pushed out to us.. BT don't seem to care is the worry. Sooner I can change to another supplier, the better.

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Contributor
Message 35 of 100

My money is still on a transmission issue that the YouView box can't cope with.  If there was a more general issue, I'd have thought the forum would be flooded by reports. 

Problem with changing supplier is you might still end up with a Humax box of some type, and potentially have the same problem.  

I'm cross-posting on the YouView forum as I see there are a small number of reports on there too.  I also noticed whilst I was on there that there is a rollout of new code started for the BT YouView box on the 23rd Sept. It's a phased rollout and my box hasn't received it yet but it will be interesting to see if the problem persists afterwards. 

0 Ratings
DocLorro
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 100

Perhaps the reason why this isn't flooded with reports is no doubt people who have been on this forum before realise (as I now do) it's a total waste of time and full of BT lies.

0 Ratings
Yorkshire_Midge
Contributor
Message 37 of 100

DocLorro 

The harsh reality is that many technology problems are down to the users/their environment, so all suppliers are naturally inclined to make you jump through hoops to prove to them that is isn't, with some solid symptoms and evidence. Easier said than done with something intermittent and obscure. 

So if you take my house for example, we're just a few miles east of the A1 in North Yorks, just on the edge of the vale of York.  Most aerials on our estate (including ours in the loft) are pointing at Emley Moor to pick up ITV Yorks.  But we are also covered by the Bilsdale transmitter (Tyne Tees) on the North York Moors, and Belmont in Lincs - both giving good coverage.  Is that a factor whilst Emley Moor is on its temporary transmitter? - who knows. 

So even though I think the Humax box is somehow at fault for not handling a situation properly, I can't actually say for certain what that situation is and whether there is anything about my location/setup that has exposed it.  I'm not fed up enough yet - but when I am, I'll probably re-point the aerial to Bilsdale, re-tune and see if the problem disappears. 

0 Ratings
bry040
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 100

I don't think we see as much talk about it because;

1. Many people just use 001 as BBC1, 002 as BBC2 etc.

2. Many people just aren't on this forum, or technical / vocal enough to be.

As for the number of folk who have the problem and call BT, well you can filter out anyone who has ever called BT before for anything  - as if you know what that's like, you very likely would retune and not waste your life.

For the rest who do, are BT looking for the pattern? 'Get an attneuator, was the most useful info I got, and it was wrong'..

0 Ratings
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 100

For what it's worth, I've had the 2100 box for a couple of years, never had a single issue with it, but for the last few weeks (September 2019), I've started losing the HD channels too. I've had to retune a few times now. I'm on the Oxford transmitter.

DocLorro
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 100

Another problem is BBC1 programmes on Yorkshire I have set to record keep disappearing. The box decides that it is better for me to have them using Yorks & Lincs meaning I have to constantly check as sometimes programmes don't record at all.

What a load of junk!

0 Ratings