Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pca
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Youview Box won't start up

Hi,

A couple of days ago I unplugged my Youview box (the recordable type - not 4K - about 4 years old).  When I plugged it back in, it started making funny noises, similar to what you used to hear when a ZX spectrum was loading games. The BT logo appears with 'Loading', then disappears, then the Youview logo appears with 'starting up' then it goes black and makes the funny noise again, then it just keeps repeating the above and never gets fully booted.

I can go into maintenance mode. I tried Factory Reset (keep recordings) but it said 'This function is not possibe - press cancel'. Same with Factory Reset (delete recordings). The two internet reset options downloaded something, but then give me the same 'cannot perform this function' message and I have to cancel.

Option 1, the software reset option, appears to do nothing - the screen goes black, then it gets into the same never-ending loop as above. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try? I can't get a replacement from BT as I cancelled my BT TV a while back, and ideally I don't want to lose all the recordings I have on the box.

Thanks for your help

PCA.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Youview Box won't start up

Its sounds like its gone faulty, possibly the hard disk or the power supply.

Which model is it? The older ones  (DTRT1000) are much larger than the latest ones.

0 Ratings
pca
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi Keith, no it's not one of the large ones. From memory it's like DTR 2100 I think.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@pca wrote:
Hi Keith, no it's not one of the large ones. From memory it's like DTR 2100 I think.

I am wondering if its the external power supply unit failing to provide the power, as that would explain the whistle, and the fact that the problem started when you removed the power?

Plug top switched mode power units in general, have a habit of failing due to poor quality internal capacitors.

Can you please try this.

Turn off the power unit at the mains, and unplug the end that goes into the YouView box.

Then turn the power unit back on, and leave it for about 30 seconds, do not turn it off.

Then plug the other end into the back of the YouView box.

See if it starts without any whining noise, and the startup completes.

0 Ratings
pca
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried what you said, but it made no difference. I tried using a different socket on the other side of the room and the result was the same. It cycles through the BT and Youview splash screens, then clicks off and starts again. The sounds I am hearing sound like it might be a physical issue with the hard drive. 

None of the options on the maintenance screen work - option 1 appears to try to restart the box, but it ends up in the same loop. Options 2-5 all come back almost immediately with 'cannot complete the selected function. Press cancel to return to the menu'.

BT won't replace it as I cancelled my BT TV. 

I would really like to get this box working again if possible, as I am already having to buy a freesat recorder for our living room, and would rather not have to buy 2 boxes !

Is there any point in opening it up to check for physical damage?

Thanks,

PCA

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Does the whole box turn off, and the light go out, before it restarts?

I would still suspect a faulty power unit which is shutting down as soon as it sees a load. This is a very common issue where the "delay" capacitor goes faulty. This is designed to prevent power supply shutdown if there is just a short surge. This would not have shown up until you turned the power off.

If you can get hold of a suitable power supply, with about the same voltage and current rating, then that would be the first thing to try.

EDIT:

They seem to be available on Amazon or elsewhere, so it usually indicates they are a fault liability, so it would be worth getting one to try.

OFFICIAL BT Youview Power Supply PSU 078452 for DTR-T2100 and DTR-T4000 Ultra HD UHD

If not, then it could be the hard drive, but I am not sure whether it would be worth the hassle, as it would have to download all of the new firmware first, and you would have to get the same type of hard drive, as they are usually optimised for video recording.

You can of course buy a retail YouView box, that is what I did, as I do not have a BT YouView account.

0 Ratings
leilabd
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

I've had two Youview boxes die on me. With the first, a DTR-T1000, the power supply seemed to have stopped working, so I took the disk out and put it in a disk caddy, attached it to a PC running Linux and was able to copy off the programmes and subsequently watch them using Plex. N.B. I record in standard definition, I think I read that HD recordings are encrypted so this might not work in that case. (I don't know if Windows 10 will read Linux format disks but Windows 7, which I was running at the time, didn't.)

I replaced the T1000 with a DTR-T2100 and some 18 months later I had a problem with that not booting. This time it appeared to be the disk that was the problem. Again I removed it to a disk caddy and ran various rescue tools, e.g. Spinrite, but to no avail. I even took the drive to bits and freed the stuck head manually but was unable to get any data off, so those programmes were lost.

However, I replaced the disk in the T2100 with a spare 200GB 2.5" disk that I happened to have around and it has been working faultlessly ever since. I was meaning to replace it with a disk higher capacity disk designed for this kind of use such as one from the Western Digital AV range but so far haven't needed to.

More details available if required.

Leila

0 Ratings