Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 11 of 15

Re: Youview Losing Internet/Buffering

@pamelap 

Connecting powerline adapters via an extension cable is a definite No No , even more so if it's a surge protector one.

As for cable , certainly don't bother with Cat 6 or 7 as these can be inflexible. Cat 5 or 5E is more than adequate. I think the cable supplied by BT was Cat 5 initially and that was OK.

Can you check your internet speeds as shown by the HomeHub. Can't tell you where to find them in a HomeHub as I've never used one, but would be handy to be sure that there's no problem with your internet.

0 Ratings
pamelap
Contributor
Message 12 of 15

@TimCurtis @Anonymous 

Yes, Cat 5 cable.

Power Adapter plugged into extension cable in room with the TV has worked for many months so don't know why this would change and stop working.

BT Hub check gives 3MB.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 13 of 15

@pamelap 

Well a 24meg (3MB) line should be fine.

I do think you need to do 2 things.

1. Have the adapter plugged directly into the mains socket

2. If that makes no difference then try a long ethernet cable to rule out the powerline adapters as being at fault.

Things can , and frequently do , change for no apparent reason but what that reason is in your case is not clear.

0 Ratings
pamelap
Contributor
Message 14 of 15

@TimCurtis 

Thanks.

It's really too far to try a long ethernet cable. It would be huge. I have one that is long enough to cross one room and storing it takes up a lot of space. I'd need one that went across 3 rooms!! Using the power adpators is a solution to that! But I can eliminate the extension and plug into wall socket instead.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 15 of 15

Hello @pamelap,

Sorry been busy with family-related stuff etc and having time away from the BT Community Forum's.

Does you YouView box still buffer? How many devices are connected to you BT router, because if people / device (s) are connected over the same powerline adaptor (that's if the adaptor is WiFi) and how fast is you're internet speed? 

I 100% do feel your concerned about this & so would I be 🤔🤗.

0 Ratings