cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris-w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Youview Usage and broadband??? BT sport query?

Hi

I'm aware of the message from CraigS https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Youview-Usage/td-p/1170002 saying we won't be charged for BB limits.

I've just received an email from BT saying I'm near my limit of 40Gb, it shows on the BB monitor which hasn't worked for months and my wife is panicking thinking we'll be charged!!!!

We did have a similar message in January and the BB monitor then went away after a few days.

Can anyone reassure us that the usage monitor hasn't been reconfigured to remove the youview usage problem?

And further if I have to upgrade to no limit BB and cancel BT essential package so its similar overall cost what will I lose.

I think I'll lose bt player / films which I never use anyway, And I think I'll lose bt sport HD and other HD but normal BT sport will work??

Is this correct.

Should say my youview year is up and I'm on infinity.

Thanks Chris

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Youview Usage and broadband??? BT sport query?

Normal sport won't work via a youView set top box if you don't have any BTTV subscription...If you have a subscription you shouldn't be charged for TV viewing..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
chris-w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks
Website says that"You can watch BT Sport on BT TV for FREE with a BT Infinity package" and "With BT Infinity, you can also add BT Sport HD for £3 a month"
So I assumed that I would just lose the HD content?
Have other people with 40Gb allowance noticed that the monitor has just started working.?
Thanks
0 Ratings
bobjames
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Yes, my monitor came back on yesterday and I received a warning email. The monitor stopped working when I had the BT youview box about 1 year ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

I don't know what your situation is regarding having completed the BT TV 12 month minimum term, but if you are thinking of cancelling TV Essential that implies you have completed it? Another option is to contact the Customer Options Team (0800 800 030). They have in the past offered existing customers TV Essential @ £2 per month if they agree to a new 12 month BT TV minimum term. I'm currently on TV Essential @ £2 for 12 months.

To confirm what was said earlier you can't view the free BT Sport channels without a BT TV subscription. You can't view any of the broadband multicast live channels (400 - 599) without a BT TV subscription and the appropriate entitlements set up on your account. If you cancel BT TV the BT Youview+ box will just act in the same way as a retail Youview+ box and provide the same basic service.

0 Ratings
chris-w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks Umpire

Yes, I'm out of contract.

And surely all the deals now with infinity have free BT sport so really thats all I need. But I'm paying £5 a month now for the youview box / HD which I want to save to allow me to go to unlimited downloads.

Is this correct? Thanks

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Yes BT Sport is free with BT Broadband BUT only to watch online (or via the app). If you want to watch via the TV you need a BTTV subscription or hook your laptop to your tv or buy something like Chromecast and cast to your TV.

So just to confirm what Umpire said above, without a BT TV subscription you won't get BT Sport via your YouView box (or any of the channels in the 400-599 range) only via the net.

0 Ratings
chris-w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

gotcha, many thanks, I was confused with online v youview.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

@umpire wrote:

To confirm what was said earlier you can't view the free BT Sport channels without a BT TV subscription.

I should have said  "you can't view the free BT Sport channels using a BT TV set top box without a BT TV subscription".

The normal price for the BT Sport pack is £13.50. The minimum price for a BT TV subscription is £5. So £18.50 in total.

As a BT Broadband customer BT are giving you a discount of £13.50 on the BT Sport pack (hence they can say that is free). As I mentioned earlier it is also possible to get a £3 discount on the BT TV subscription. So £2 in total. Not a bad saving! I think £0 would be too much to ask for. Smiley Happy

Have you further investigated why BT said you were close to the 40GB data limit? I'm on that same Infinity 1 (40GB) package and haven't had any problems with it. Moving to Unlimited might not be necessary if BT have messed up.

0 Ratings
chris-w
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Its making sense now.

Thanks Umpire, have you looked at your BB monitor to see if it shows.

I'll probably leave it a few days to see if the monitor goes away as it did in January Smiley Frustrated

Thanks again all.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings