cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AjayK46
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Youview - What benefit over Vision?

I was initially very keen to order Youview but now not so interested.

The only real benefit I can see from the description is that you get the relevant freeview HD stations and catch-up is accessed via going backwards through the TV guide. (Except BBC Iplayer).

I understand that you cannot even skip through commercial add breaks on catch-up.

Can anyone tell me what the really good things are about Youview?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
bazz02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Youview - What benefit over Vision?

Its eventually going to replace Vision.

Its the future.

But!!!! Sports fans are going to have to wait for Sky and Espn to be implimented.

So from here on I guess all the good stuff will only be on Youview.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

@bazz02 wrote:

Its eventually going to replace Vision.

Its the future.

But!!!! Sports fans are going to have to wait for Sky and Espn to be implemented.

So from here on I guess all the good stuff will only be on Youview.

Actually bazz02, it's going to be the other way round.

BT decided to continue the BT Vison service because the new YouView boxes aren't yet fully capable of their full functionality. And neither is the service. And the BT Pace YV boxes were also initially rejected for the same(ish) reasons. Which pushed their plans even further back.

The new BT linear channels launch soon. Which will be live Multicast linear channels. And will also only be available to users with BT Vision boxes on the BT Vision 2.0 platform. Because the Humax YouView boxes don't support Multicast at the moment, and so cannot get them, but they will do sometime in 2013. Which is expected to be sometime in the summer. (And we've heard that one before.)

But all the new content will be available on both Vision and YouView via VOD access. So users of both boxes will be able to access this new content. So it's not all bad news. And this new bleeding edge service/technology will evolve over time, to become what they want it to be. And with the backing it's got behind it, I think, IMHO, it will get there.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

@AjayK46 wrote:

The only real benefit I can see from the description is that you get the relevant freeview HD stations and catch-up is accessed via going backwards through the TV guide. (Except BBC Iplayer).

BBC content works as well. Why do you think it doesn't?

0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

The only thing that stopped my getting BT Vision was no HD Channels which I already get on my Humax HDR box.

I was thinking of getting Youview but due to reading about all the features not working not yet implemented if the rumours are true and BT Vision gets the HD channels than that will be a lot better than Youview.

0 Ratings