cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Youview and BT Vision a nightmare.

Go to solution

I'm still having major problems with watching BT Vision content on my Youview box.

The PVR part of Youview works as it should but the tacked on BT Vision app is a disgrace.

I get many films that start then buffer till it decides to give me a error message. Sometimes films won't start at all just get a spinning triangle till it returns to the selection page. Sometimes the resume function won't work.

For example I've been trying to watch The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and for the last week I have managed to get half way through now it won't play at all.

Now I get so frustrated with the hassle of getting a film to play I just end up going back to Netflix and Lovefilm. I'm paying the Vision Unlimited fee for nothing. It is a shame the BT Vision app is so poor as otherwise the box is fantastic.

I've had a chat with somebody in the Indian call centre and that didn't exactly help as they were just reading from a script and didn't seem to know what they were talking about.

I know it's not my connection, I have Infinity 160Mb package and all other streaming devices work perfectly. Youview box is connected via ethernet cable.

I really hope BT get their act together and fix this faulty BT Vision, the idea is good but the execution is dire.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Travelstar
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Youview and BT Vision a nightmare.

Go to solution

I've had some similar issues. I've found rebooting my router often solves them though.

0 Ratings
willc01
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

You could try the maintence mode and redownload the BT software.  It might cure the problem, so worth a try.  Instructions in one of my recent posts on BTV-251.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

I've tried maintenance mode, rebooting the router and other suggested fixes all to no avail. The PVR part of the box works as it should and is very good, The on demand players from the EPG work without a hitch.

As soon as I use the BT Vision part of the box then I'm very lucky if I manage to watch a film all the way through without buffering and/or the film stopping and returning to the library page.

I know it's not my DL speed as stated before as all other streaming services work as they should.

BT call centre were no help they again just read from a script. They also mentioned maybe sending an engineer out, which is pointless.

I really feel I'm paying for Vision unlimited for nothing as I get so annoyed I don't bother and look for the same film or an alternative on Netflix and LoveFilm.

Bt really need to sort Vision out as it is unusable in it's current state.

0 Ratings
totalmess
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

instead of rebooting router stick a needle in the reset hole it worked for me ,unplugging it like the call centre tells you is a waste of space.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Even done that and a factory reset from the router settings. I think that Vision is just not fit for purpose. If only it would work well like Netflix and Lovefilm does. It's going to be fun when people start having these troubles when their sports channels are released.

0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
Hi I have infinity & Youview and they work perfectly as do the majority of others so it has to be something specific to your line/set up.
Try contacting the mods - anyone that does so raves about how helpful they have been in resolving the issue. Hang in here - its worth the extra effort!
willc01
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

I know you said in your original post that it was connected by ethernet, is that one cable from the PVR to the router, have you tried a different cable?

Also you haven't mentioned what its like if you play using iPlayer or one of the other players on Youview?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Yes, tried different ethernet cables brand new Cat5e and even some Cat6 ones I had lying around. Even tried a different port on the router, still the same.  I have already mentioned that the on demand players from the EPG work as they should.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

After a few more days I have noticed that most of the Vision problems occur during the evening and not during the daytime. When it happened again I immediately checked my speed and was getting 280 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up so it was not my connection. I wonder if the increasing number of new customers is putting a strain on the service?

0 Ratings