Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoffcox
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Youview and Youtube

Go to solution

My daughter's smart TV used to have lots of apps including the Youtube app.

She now has a Youview box and I cannot see how to get access to Youtube videos!

If I use the pre-Youview remote most of the previous apps, including the Youtube app, are no longer there. There is a browser app but on selecting this I get the error message that there is no Internet connection.

Is this one step forward and many steps backwards?!!

Cheers

Geoff

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
geoffcox
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Youview and Youtube

Go to solution
I forgot to tick the send email when a reply!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ab79
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Having a Youview box should have no effect whatsoever on the smart TVs app selection when using the TVs original remote. So not really sure about that one?

If your asking about a YouTube app on a Youview box then it doesn't exist as far as I know. Your best bet is a Chromecast I would say, if she has a smart phone. Down to £20 at the minute and much easier to search and find YouTube clips on a phone rather than a TV remote.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Did whoever install the Youview box move the ethernet cable from the TV to the Youview box? If so the simple way of not having to run another cable from the router is to have an ethernet switch by the TV to plug the long cable into then two (or more) short cables from that to the TV and Youview box etc.

Jge46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Disappointed! I installed BT Youview starter box but have gone back to Now (subscription free) because it gives me access to YouTube, which I and my grandchildren use a lot. Sorry BT, but I've reboxed the YouView box to save it gathering dust

0 Ratings
Jge46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Disappointed. Just unpacked the YouView starter box and found an internet cable!  I thought the whole idea of a BT hub was to provide wifi connectivity to internet devices.  Come on BT, your internet service is fine but this product is not up to modern expectations.  So glad it only cost the postage.  Back to the £15 subscription free Now box

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
As WiFi connection cannot provide a quality connection as a cable connection can.
0 Ratings
Jge46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

But my other devices (smart tv, hd. Box, etc) work perfectly well.  So why does the You-view need to be hard wired?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@Jge46 wrote:

But my other devices (smart tv, hd. Box, etc) work perfectly well.  So why does the You-view need to be hard wired?

Because the extra channels provided by BT are delivered over multicast, an Ethernet cable is needed because wireless cannot carry multicast, and its not even transmitted by wireless routers,

You can use powerline type devices, which is why BT supply them for £20 when you order BT YouView.

0 Ratings
Jge46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

But the Youview will work through a wifi link.  

TP-Link produce wifi extenders which include an ethernet out socket.  I use one to extend my home wifi to my office, a blind spot for my router.   Earlier today I connected the box to the ethernet outlet on the TPL extender and the box worked perfectly.  No need for cables from router to mains socket or signal converters.  A single unit, with through power and a short lead ethernet cable to the  Youview.

So, the box will work over a wifi link.

0 Ratings