Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HB2
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Youview and aerial

Hello

I have recently moved to BT. I have a rooftop aerial and explained my setup to them upon booking, ie I have a sky package on my downstairs tv and wanted the Youview box for my bedroom tv (as I had with my previous provider). 

Unfortunately the only aerial point from my rooftop aerial is in my living room not my bedroom...

I have spent hours reading other’s posts with similar issues but can’t see a definitive answer for what I want to achieve.

Has anyone done this - put the Youview box downstairs, plugged it into the aerial point and the router, then connected the hdmi to a transmitter, the receiver being connected via hdmi into the bedroom tv upstairs, and been successful? Or is this just not doable? I’ve read that you can use your original Youview remote with the hdmi transmitter as though you are pointing it at your original Youview box.

Obviously the transmitters are quite expensive so I’m looking at second-hand ones to reduce cost but before buying I wanted to know if it even works?

Many thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Youview and aerial

Hi @HB2 

Can you clarify your setup as I'm a bit unclear - ie Do you still have your Sky box downstairs and is it still operational? If it is then why not run a co-axial cable from the RF Out up to your bedroom and use TV Link?

It's only really viable though if you're the sole occupant.

0 Ratings
HB2
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi Andy thank you for your reply.

Yes sky is operational downstairs still. So I have a sky tv package on my living room tv, and I now have broadband, landline and a Youview box with BT. The rooftop aerial for Freeview channels has only one aerial socket which is in my living room. I am the sole occupant.

I want to be able to use the BT Youview box that is part of my package, either way, it’s the running the co-axial cable up to my bedroom that is the issue, I don’t really want to be needing to re-plaster walls or have a long cable running along the carpet etc

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

I don't think I've seen hdmi transmitters mentioned on here as a solution, I have my doubts whether that would work with BT TV. The usual suggestion is to use powerline adaptors and have a second BT Box in your bedroom, but then I think you need a second room subscription and even then I'm not sure that the freeview channels are sent over the powerline adaptors, I think that you'd still have the same problem.

I don't know enough about how BT TV works so you need to get someone with far more knowledge on the subject.

I honestly think that your best option is the TV Link with Sky, as you will already have a hole in the wall from the dish, or to re-route the aerial upstairs and use powerline adaptors. Yes you might have to drill one or two holes through exterior walls, but you'll know it'll work and it's cheap.

0 Ratings
HB2
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Andy thanks again for your reply.

Yes I’ve not seen anyone mention the hdmi transmitters either and as they are expensive I don’t want to try them on a whim, however they would be perfect (if they work!)

Asda do a 50ft coaxial cable... would I be able to plug that into the original aerial socket and then take that outside and back in at my bedroom direct into the BT Youview box, or is that dangerous?! 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Yes you could do that. If the cable from your aerial enters the house through the roof into the attic though, you could cut the cable there and add a splitter, then drop a cable through the bedroom ceiling (the nearest corner to the TV I would suggest).

If you do want to run a cable from the downstairs aerial socket outside and up, then also take a cable from the RF Out on the Sky Box and up. TV Link costs less than a tenner and is an ir eye that connects between the RF Out of your Sky Box and your TV upstairs. Either take your Sky remote upstairs or buy another, point it at the ir eye and it operates your Sky Box. It enables you to operate and view Sky in another room. You would then need to turn the RF Output on in Settings. It's in the Installers Menu if I remember correctly, so you'd need to press Settings, 0 0 1 and Enter, the additional Tabs should appear and it's in there.

0 Ratings
HB2
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

That’s great Andy and definitely worth bearing in mind, I think cutting the cable and putting a splitter on might be beyond my capabilities 😹

0 Ratings