cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 5

Youview box causing AM radio interference

Whenever my Youview box comes out of deep sleep standby it causes interference on AM radio from my AV reciever next to it.  AM radio is fine whenever the TV or one of my other PVRs is active.  Admittedly I am relying on a piece of wet string hanging out the back as an aerial.  Anyone else notices this issue?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Youview box causing AM radio interference

Its unavoidable, it would be the same if you operated a PC next to an AM radio.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

It is avoidable as operating the other two PVRs and the TV next to it demonstrate. Shoddy screening.

Anyway, it has pushed me to do something I have been thinking of doing for years and adding a DAB/Internet/Bluetooth streaming box to my AV set up with a bargain from the January sales.  It can sit where my now sadly defunct Toppy used to sit and let me flick back to the 5Live commentary during the footy halftime rather than suffer the puerile punditry on the TV.

0 Ratings
monarchjock
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

If you happen to have powerline adaptors and you are a Shortwave Listener like wot I am then there is interference there. I have to disconnect the adaptors if I want to do some Shortwave listening. There is still some there from my neighbours. It is a BIG issue in the Amateur Radio world. How are you supposed to shield mains cabling?

Since most folk aren't shortwave listeners it's not an issue to them. They couldn't care less, but if something starts interfering with their TV or Radio reception.....

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

That is a separate issue that has been done to death many times in many places but is of no relevance to this case.

0 Ratings